Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG Cardholders

tag
UFGuy2006
Established Contributor

Amex SPG Cardholders

Has anyone been successful with Amex waiving the annual fee after the first year? I've read before of a non annual fee version but I'm pretty sure thats no longer available. Anyone?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex SPG Cardholders

I like to know also.

Anyone have success or denied getting a CLI after 60 days with this card?

I am still waiting for my 2nd statement to cut so I can ask for a CLI.

I've used $2700 1st month and PIF.

Trying to get to $15K in 6 months to get the extra 15K bonus points.

Message 2 of 9
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

I like to know also.

Anyone have success or denied getting a CLI after 60 days with this card?

I am still waiting for my 2nd statement to cut so I can ask for a CLI.

I've used $2700 1st month and PIF.

Trying to get to $15K in 6 months to get the extra 15K bonus points.

I got a CLI after 60 days. I haven't had it long enough to ask about waiving the annual fee though.

Message 3 of 9
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Was that an auto increased? or did you have to call in?

Thanks in advance.

Message 4 of 9
p-
Valued Contributor

@UFGuy2006 wrote:

Has anyone been successful with Amex waiving the annual fee after the first year? I've read before of a non annual fee version but I'm pretty sure thats no longer available. Anyone?

Nope, I rejected Amex's pre-approved offers because I don't want an AF.  USAA Amex is no AF so I got that one.

Message 5 of 9
MS00000000
Regular Contributor

@tntexans72 wrote:

Was that an auto increased? or did you have to call in?

Thanks in advance.

Actually, I think I did it online instead of calling in, but either way it was not auto...it was initiated by me.  

Message 6 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

31 years continuous membership with AMEX .... three cards total (including 6 years with SPG), probably over a million dollars charged in total.  Never missed a payment in 31 years.  And never had an AF waived by AMEX, either.  I've never attempted it, but I seriously doubt they would do it.  It's not that big a deal for me and it's just not something that AMEX would do.  But you can certainly try. 

When I passed the 25 year mark I thought it would have been nice for AMEX to at least send me a letter thanking me for being a cardmember but nah, didn't get any sort of acknowledgement from them.  They just don't do things like that.

Message 7 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Watchmann wrote:

31 years continuous membership with AMEX .... three cards total (including 6 years with SPG), probably over a million dollars charged in total.  Never missed a payment in 31 years.  And never had an AF waived by AMEX, either.  I've never attempted it, but I seriously doubt they would do it.  It's not that big a deal for me and it's just not something that AMEX would do.  But you can certainly try. 

When I passed the 25 year mark I thought it would have been nice for AMEX to at least send me a letter thanking me for being a cardmember but nah, didn't get any sort of acknowledgement from them.  They just don't do things like that.

I can't speak from experience, but I have seen numerous posts on FT that Amex will give retention bonuses.  It's very much YMMV, but I would imagine that someone with your history could probably get an annual fee waived, or at the very least get some bonus Starpoints or MR points.  But they're most likely not going to do it automatically.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 9
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@Watchmann wrote:

I can't speak from experience, but I have seen numerous posts on FT that Amex will give retention bonuses.  It's very much YMMV, but I would imagine that someone with your history could probably get an annual fee waived, or at the very least get some bonus Starpoints or MR points.  But they're most likely not going to do it automatically.

You have me motivated.  I just paid the fees a few months ago but when the Preferred Gold comes up for renewal next year I'm going to call and see if they will waive the fee for a year, or at least shoot me some points as a goodwill gesture.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.