Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG / Chase Marriott Visa

tag
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Amex SPG / Chase Marriott Visa

With the Marriott purchase of SPG, is there any existing benefit of the Amex SPG?  I have the Marriott Chase Rewards Visa and I just liked my Marriott account with SPG, increasing my new SPG account to gold.  With the uncertainity of existing rewards, I am curious if the Amex SPG is a card that I should add to my portfolio.  I would hate to app for the card and then in 6 months for the card to disolve.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex SPG / Chase Marriott Visa

@babson wrote:

With the Marriott purchase of SPG, is there any existing benefit of the Amex SPG?  I have the Marriott Chase Rewards Visa and I just liked my Marriott account with SPG, increasing my new SPG account to gold.  With the uncertainity of existing rewards, I am curious if the Amex SPG is a card that I should add to my portfolio.  I would hate to app for the card and then in 6 months for the card to disolve.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Rumor mill is stating major changes in 2019.  Until then, SPG remains as one of the most malleable rewards programs.  The 35k offer is outstanding (is it 30k now?).  SPG is transferring to Marriott at 1:3 as of late.  1000 SPG is 3000 Mariott points.  Basically, the sign on gets you a Cat 6 hotel stay at Marriott. (check my math)

SPG's airline transfer is amazing as well and quite vast.

The majority of internet posters state they have it for the malleable points.  It's crappy for United or Ethad, but otherwise, pretty freaking sweet throw them just about anywhere points.

Message 2 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

SPG gives you 5 nights/2 stays toward elite status every year, and you get 1 SPG point per $ which you can transfer to Marriott 3:1 - so you could think of the SPG as a 3 Marriott Rewards per $ card, which is MUCH better than the non-hotel rate for the Marriott card.  The sign-up bonus for me last month was 25,000 SPG points for $3k spend in 90 days and 10,000 bonus SPG points for another $2k in 180 days - that's 105,000 Marriott points!  Marriott is subject to Chase's 5/24 rule if that's a concern, SPG is not.  SPG can get easy, huge SP CLIs - with Chase not so much - you obviously know this looking at the CL on your BCP.

Since I have the Platinum AmEx and have gold status with both, I elected to go SPG instead of Marriott even though I usually stay at Marriott properties.  $30k+ spend on SPG is also going to get you gold status with all 3 (+Ritz-Carlton) programs without te Platinum card.  The rewards programs will not combine until at least 2018 if that helps.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@babson wrote:

IMHO SPG is no longer a card meant to be held in long term nowadays so don't worry about it disolving.

The reasons:

1. AMEX benefits (offers, shoprunner) available via guaranteed no AF cards like the ED

2. No longer a good idea for everyday non-category spending or MS in a sea of great 2% (or even 3%)CB cards and 1.5 points cards (CFU and EDP)

3. No longer a good idea for bonus categroy spending when compared to 'flexible' travel cards (like CSR, I'd take 3 UR rather than 2 Star points Smiley Happy)

4. No real passive annual hotel benefit (like some other hotel cards that give 1 FN or points for 1 FN per year), the elite nighs/stays don't work for Marriott either.

5. Lame spending bonus (instead of putting $30000 on this, you can get SPG gold for no spending with Plat or by putting 10K on Ritz card)

So the actual deal is: 1AF(might be waivable if you call and push), 1 HP, 1 New account, $5000 redirected spending (which can and likely will generate higher valued points/CB on other cards) buys you 40000 star points (or 120000 Marriott points which do not count towards lifetime status).  Then you close it (optimal) or continue to pay AF for nothing (you can call to push then to waive every year but they can and do say no).

Message 4 of 8
SkyCommander
Frequent Contributor

SPG would be a good card for the first year for the signup bonus and transferable points. There's no use for "status" with SPG card since you already have a higher status than the card would give you straight away. I thought about this card myself because I've had a lot of Starwood stays recently and more upcoming. Who knows maybe in the future Amex will have a Marriott card of their own to replace it. 

Chase Hyatt | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Chase Freedom Unlimited | Amex ED | Amex Hilton | Amex Bonvoy | BoA Amtrak | CapOne Quicksilver
Message 5 of 8
lord_kinbote
Established Contributor

Thanks for all the detailed responses.  I decided to go ahead and apply.  I was approved with a 15.1k starting limit.  I would have asked to match some of my higher limit cards, but with the amex 3x there really is no need.

Message 6 of 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Great to hear! Welcome to the SPG family. Just saw that the 25k + 10k points promo is running until April 5th. Glad you got in on that!
Message 7 of 8
red259
Super Contributor

@babson wrote:

Depends on how you are looking to use it. The current 35k bonus on the SPG card is as good as it gets. I love spg points. If you are looking at a card for the long term then you need to ask yourself the following question. Is this a card you are only going to use on hotel spend? If so and if your spend isn't that high you may want the marriott card because it will also give you a free annual night. If this is a card that you will use beyond hotel spend (or you have spg status and a decent amount of hotel spend) then the spg card is better. 1 spg point is worth way more than one marriott point on non-bonus spend. Also depending on your loyalty level with spg you could end up getting 5 points per dollar spent with spg. The spg cardcan be a good choice for non-bonus spend. I value spg points at 2.7 centers per point and they can be transferred to airline partners, so more flexibility.The marriott card you will pretty much only use at marriott but it does give you a free night which can offset the AF. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.