cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex SPG Luxury! 100k bonus for $5k spend!

tag
mkhan1093
Established Contributor

Re: Amex SPG Luxury! 100k bonus for $5k spend!

I still don't think I understand the hype around this card. It's earning potential is pretty much the same as the cheaper SPG Personal and Biz cards, and actually even earns less on restaurants than the Biz card. If you have the Amex Platinum, you can get the same level of status plus equivalent Hilton status and so many other perks. I can see the value in having an anniversary night capped at 50k points instead of 35k as with the other ones but is that really worth the extra AF? Not to mention the mediocre SUB presently. The way I see it, you can pay $95x2 = $190 for a free weekend stay (i.e. 2 nights) or pay effectively $150 for 1 night in maybe what can be a marginally more expensive room.

Message 31 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mkhan1093 wrote:

I still don't think I understand the hype around this card. It's earning potential is pretty much the same as the cheaper SPG Personal and Biz cards, and actually even earns less on restaurants than the Biz card. If you have the Amex Platinum, you can get the same level of status plus equivalent Hilton status and so many other perks. I can see the value in having an anniversary night capped at 50k points instead of 35k as with the other ones but is that really worth the extra AF? Not to mention the mediocre SUB presently. The way I see it, you can pay $95x2 = $190 for a free weekend stay (i.e. 2 nights) or pay effectively $150 for 1 night in maybe what can be a marginally more expensive room.

If you already have priority pass it doesn't make sense to get the card. 

Message 32 of 54
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

For me, the spend $75k for Platinum made the deal and kept me from applying for a new card since YTD spending on my regular SPG counts.

Let's put that 50k certificate into perspective.  Without cherry-picking, I just loaded up a random 50k night that is 531.3 EUR after taxes, or $613.16 as I post this.  That's only 1.22 cpp, about half of what I have been averaging especially when combined with 5th night free on award stays.  That more than covers the annual fee without even taking into account things like the $300 credit.  Right down the street, there is a Hilton that is 142,000 points for the same night or 311.53 EUR ($359.58).  That's 0.25 cpp, about 1/10th of my usual Marriott value (and 1/5th of what this example above shows), and a perfect example of one of the reasons why I just can't do Hilton.

Also keep in mind that the 50k certificate can be used for current Cat6 properties (which would be most of the old high-end Marriott Cat 8/9 properties), but as of next year could also be used for off-peak Cat7 properties, which will include brands such as Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis.

For me it's not so much a question of "does is make sense to get this card if I have Amex Platinum," but rather "does it makes sense to keep Amex Platinum now that I have this card?"  For the casual person who has no real interest in hotel loyalty, or doesn't stay often enough to have at least earned a lower tier by nights alone, the card may not make sense.  For those of us who are Starriott-Carlton loyalists, it makes perfect sense.

Message 33 of 54
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

For me, the spend $75k for Platinum made the deal and kept me from applying for a new card since YTD spending on my regular SPG counts.

Let's put that 50k certificate into perspective.  Without cherry-picking, I just loaded up a random 50k night that is 531.3 EUR after taxes, or $613.16 as I post this.  That's only 1.22 cpp, about half of what I have been averaging especially when combined with 5th night free on award stays.  That more than covers the annual fee without even taking into account things like the $300 credit.  Right down the street, there is a Hilton that is 142,000 points for the same night or 311.53 EUR ($359.58).  That's 0.25 cpp, about 1/10th of my usual Marriott value (and 1/5th of what this example above shows), and a perfect example of one of the reasons why I just can't do Hilton.

Also keep in mind that the 50k certificate can be used for current Cat6 properties (which would be most of the old high-end Marriott Cat 8/9 properties), but as of next year could also be used for off-peak Cat7 properties, which will include brands such as Ritz-Carlton and St. Regis.

For me it's not so much a question of "does is make sense to get this card if I have Amex Platinum," but rather "does it makes sense to keep Amex Platinum now that I have this card?"  For the casual person who has no real interest in hotel loyalty, or doesn't stay often enough to have at least earned a lower tier by nights alone, the card may not make sense.  For those of us who are Starriott-Carlton loyalists, it makes perfect sense.

I agree on Hilton.  Their points seem pretty worthless.  

I will get 5 free 35k nights at $475 a year (With our 4 SPG and 1 Marriott) . There seems like a ton of places for 35k points.  I am looking at spending 2 weeks in Switzerland next summer and there appears a lot of really cool places to stay at the 35k range. We could have 140k or so points left our Ritz Aruba stay so that should be good for another 5 nights.   There really aren't that many 50k places compared to 35k hotels. 

Message 34 of 54
redpat
Senior Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

I think the Plat card just became more valuable in terms of Amex MR offers and Ritz being part of FHR which count for Marriott points and nights w/ added perk of breakfast and $100 property credit.  

The question I have, is Plat Elite worth getting?  I could stay 50 nights using Marriott if I pushed it but I'm afraid I'm tweener that just got squeezed out of Marriott because of their status dilution.  They just lost many loyalists that just didn't push 50 nights, good luck Marriott.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 35 of 54
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@redpat wrote:

I think the Plat card just became more valuable in terms of Amex MR offers and Ritz being part of FHR which count for Marriott points and nights w/ added perk of breakfast and $100 property credit.  

The question I have, is Plat Elite worth getting?  I could stay 50 nights using Marriott if I pushed it but I'm afraid I'm tweener that just got squeezed out of Marriott because of their status dilution.  They just lost many loyalists that just didn't push 50 nights, good luck Marriott.

You keep raising great points making me second-guess my rewards and travel strategy.  Smiley Wink 

I completely forget that FHR bookings are qualifying rate "travel agency" stays while Amex Travel is considered an OTA.  (Similar to how Citi Prestige works; call or email the concierge and it's a travel agency, but book online through the ThankYou portal and it's an OTA.)  FHR often has 3rd/4th night free offers, as well.  I should probably start making that a necessary price-checking visit in the future when I book hotels.  I'm not seriously considering getting rid of my Amex Plat, of course. Amex Offers and the 5x airfare alone likely still at least cover my AF.  But some perks are no longer as unique (in a few weeks I will actually have FOUR Priority Pass Select memberships; in January I will have Delta lounge access through Delta Reserve), so it does it make it harder to justify the $725 AF.

With any of the Marriott/SPG cards, the bar for Platinum is lowered to 35 nights actually stayed and that includes award nights.  While I was disappointed initially with SPG Luxury not coming with a higher tier outright, and with the Platinum card only granting New Gold, in retrospect I am satisfied with the way it turned out.  There are just far too many Hilton Diamonds now as a result of the Amex card!  With the 50% points bonus and arrival gift(s), I know that it makes sense for me.  And since my stays are almost universally as a family of 4, I do enjoy those upgrades.  A larger room or a suite may not make as much of a difference if I were a solo traveler.

Message 36 of 54
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

SORRY K but if you travel the Plat is more valuable than the luxury card for the simple reason you get better lounge access (Centurion) and 5% on airfare. The current plat signup bonus is also more valuable. This card would have been a real winner with automatic Plat status and a bigger SUB. If they wanted to really impress they could have added comp hotel lounge access. And unless you are a Marriott loyalist the Aspire is a better card. DOC, FT, NW sites all agree.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 37 of 54
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I love my Amex Platinum card, don't get me wrong.  But lounge access is no better than numerous other cards if there's no Centurion lounge at my departing, connecting, or arriving airports.  Sky Club access is great, but like I said that gets watered down for me since I'll have it with Delta Reserve soon.  The 5 MRs on airfare is great, but depending on how the awards are used it could be roughly the same as 3 URs earned on CSR or 3 TYPs earned from a Citi card.  Even for a revenue (to the airline's eyes) flight booked through the portal, it's likely a 5% vs 4.5% variance between Amex and Chase.

Again, I have no plans to get rid of my Amex Platinum card.  And the Hilton card is fine for those that stay at Hilton properties.  I just can't wrap my head around their loyalty program and they don't have properties in many locations that Marriott may have several.

Message 38 of 54
morgacj2004
Valued Contributor

K I agree that Marriott has more properties and you don't need Delta club access as you have the reserve. Most members on this site are not going to be able to put 75 k spend on this card to get Plat status and most don't have the Reserve due to the high AF. I fly Intl and am loyal to airlines who AS has as partners such as Cathay, JAL, Emirates and now Singapore. Living in Alaska forces this. I purchase, transfer and earn AS miles to the tune of 1 million + in the last 3 years. I travel mostly to Asia and have to use hotels.com a lot as there often no Hilton, Marriott properties in the cities I visit. Cebu City just lost their only Marriott (Ayala Center) when the lease expired. They are building a new Sheraton outside the city and hopefully Hilton will enter the market soon. Manilla already has a Hilton.

AX Hilton Aspire 20k, AX Bonvoy Brilliant 15k, AX BCP 2k, AX Blue Bus Cash 15k, AX Delta Air Platinum 49k, (AU) AX Delta Gold 15k, AX Amazon Prime Bus 25k, BC Uber 29k, AKUSA FCU -10k , CITI AAdvantage Exec World Elite MC 16.5k, Discover (2) 16k, Kohls-4k, VS Comenity $3k, BofA AK Air Siggy 9.8k, WF Propel AX 5k, JCP $10k PFCU Plat Rewards Siggy 39.5k, PFCU Power Cash Rewards AX 10.5k, NFCU Flagship 50k, CLOC 15k, CITI Costco 9.5k, GAP VISA Synchrony $9k,Target MC 9k, Ulta MC Comenity 9k, Pay Pal 1k, CO Venture One 23k, US Bank Radisson Rewards Signature 10k, US Bank Fred Meyers World MC, 11k, US Bank Plat VISA 15.7k, VS Comenity 2k, 240k total available credit. Utiliz-2%, Current FICO EQ-724, EX 763,TU 802 ,Chapt 7 BK D/C 11-2012. Starting scores 520-550
Message 39 of 54
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-spg-luxury-100000-point-upgrade-offer/

Upgrade offers ARE being given though the variance is big and no clue what it takes to get them. I plan to wait it out for a bit and see if I can't get something to come up. Anyone have any luck calling in and trying that way by any chance?

Message 40 of 54
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.