cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Serve - Load $25 for instant $25 bonus....

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Amex Serve - Load $25 for instant $25 bonus....

@trumpet-205 wrote:

I have Serve account before. I use the card once for my AT&T bill ($5) every month just so its not for simply "credit card cash advance".

Serve really need a better website; constant slowdown on its website.

Right, I like to use prepaid cards for online purchases from online sites with whom I've never done business.  Or, sites that insist on a recurring charge where I can control the charge with a prepaid card.

Message 11 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@trumpet-205 wrote:

@Autumnslight wrote:
This is the first sort of prepaid card that I might actually consider getting. The fact that it's by Amex is a huge factor, as I actually trust them. It seems like a new option similar to using Paypal's "personal payment" feature too, so that might be useful. I'm definitely going to look into this further.

Serve is designed to compete against PayPal.

I've never used PayPal, but would consider using Serve if they become accepted as a "paypal" type of service. 

Message 12 of 61
Jlu
Established Contributor

I will support any service that attempts to bring down the evil monopoly that is Paypal. If you read Paypal's ToS you will realize that they basically can do what ever they want with your money including freezing your funds for extremely long lengths of time with no warning or reason.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 13 of 61
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

The regular AMEX prepaid card has the same $25 bonus, why not just get that one? I'm not sold on the Serve yet. It has less fees and the same protections the standard AMEX products have.

Message 14 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@PrettyNPink wrote:

The regular AMEX prepaid card has the same $25 bonus, why not just get that one? I'm not sold on the Serve yet. It has less fees and the same protections the standard AMEX products have.

I already have it, but prefer the convenience of loading with a CC, which Amex's prepaid doesn't allow.

PS - Loading Amex's prepaid with a bank account takes 5 - 7 days, whereas Serve with a CC is immediate.

Message 15 of 61
Open123
Super Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

I will support any service that attempts to bring down the evil monopoly that is Paypal. If you read Paypal's ToS you will realize that they basically can do what ever they want with your money including freezing your funds for extremely long lengths of time with no warning or reason.

Couldn't agree with you more.  I will NEVER use PayPal in any capacity whatsoever, even it means ignoring any purchases on ebay indefinitely.

Message 16 of 61
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I just signed up for it. It's a free $25 Smiley Tongue haha. 

Anyone know if Cap1 will charge that as a Cash advance? Deciding if I should load with my bank or use a CC. 

Edit: Just loaded from my chase debit card, posted instantly, no waiting. Good Deal Smiley Tongue 

Message 17 of 61
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

Right, I like to use prepaid cards for online purchases from online sites with whom I've never done business.  Or, sites that insist on a recurring charge where I can control the charge with a prepaid card.

If you have Citi or BofA CC you can use virtual account number instead (Wtih BofA ShopSafe, you can even set the limit on virtual account number). That way you still get purchase protection which you would not get from Serve.

Message 18 of 61
mmduluth
Frequent Contributor

Just signed up and loaded mine from my Freedom card. The $25 I added plus the additional $25 loaded instantly. 

EQ FICO - 718 - 01/10/2012 EX FICO - 732 - 04/28/2012 (AMEX)

Cap1 Platinum (1000) Macy’s (2000) Chase Freedom (3000) Kohls (600) Best Buy (2700) Amex BCE (8200) Chase Sapphire (5000) CarCare1 (1600) Discover IT (4000)
Message 19 of 61
WhiteCollar
Established Contributor

OK, I couldn't resist the free cash!! I signed up and received the $25 bonus instantly. Thanks putting the offer on my radar.

Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.