Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card - Push to apply

tag
sammyfire2001
Frequent Contributor

Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card - Push to apply

I'm trying to figure out what the big deal is about applying for this card before it's retired?  Is it because the SUB will be lower for Bonvoy? Higher AF? 

Is anyone planning on applying for the SPG Preferred card?  

As of Apr 2019: EX - 734; EQ - ??? TU - 748
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
DemonHusker
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card - Push to apply

I just signed up for the SUB. If you don't sign up now you won't ever be able to so you lose out on the SUB. I won't qualify for any Chase card for years so I figured why not, since Amex has a once in a lifetime on this card anyway.

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are someone who wants an SPG/Marriott card but over 5/24 to get in with Chase, it's a way to get in. Once the card is gone, SPG/Marriott will only be with Amex on the Luxury and Business side. Meaning you either have to pay $450 or get the business card if you have a business. The $95 fee card is going away as the Marriott card on Chase side is already the option for $95.

So if you are say 8/24, and you want a card with Marriott rewards, dont have a business and dont want a $450 AF for the Luxury card, then this is your best bet, or wait until you are under 5/24, whichever you prefer.

Hope this helps. Oh also since the card is going away, then you cant get the sub for it lol.
Message 3 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@sammyfire2001, and the simplest answer - why not?

It really isn't so much as a "big deal" since there are a variety of reasons (some mentioned above) where individuals could find some value, whether it's to expand their AmEx or Marriott/BonVoy portfolio, the SUB or the fact that there may be some other restrictive options from the Chase side of things.
Message 4 of 6
jdbkiang
Established Contributor

The main push for me, now, is simply because it will be restricted by 5/24 soon, and I don't know/think if I'll be under that any time soon. I still want to take advantage of the SUB and free nights, however, especially with a $0 first year AF.

[2/2019]
Message 5 of 6
USF
Established Member

Like someone mentioned, I got it recently for the SUB. Once you get the SUB for SPG, the “one lane rule” says you won’t be able to get a SUB from any Chase Marriott cards for a period of time, but the SPG Luxury, aka Bonvoy Brilliant, is considered a separate product, so you are eligible to get another SUB.

To simplify, apply for AMEX SPG before Feb 12, get 75k bonus PLUS another 100k SUB for Luxury/Brilliant If you choose to apply/upgrade later.

If you don’t apply, well the only offering from AMEX after Feb 12th is the Brilliant card and 100k SUB.

My strategy is I got the SPG for current SUB, and after a year see if I get an upgrade offer for the Brilliant or retention offer to double dip.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.