Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Starwood vs CSP - Light traveler

tag
c3troop
New Contributor

Amex Starwood vs CSP - Light traveler

I travel very lightly, maybe 2-3 times a year of hotel stays and about one round trip flight.  Which of these cards are better?  I always wanted the CSP because it's made of metal and I really like the point structure (already have a Freedom).  I never really looked into the Starwood but nerdwallet makes it sound like a great card.  Any input on which one is better to get?  Currently have 2 amex's and score is 780.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex Starwood vs CSP - Light traveler

Light travler should consider cashback card instead. I don't think CSP, Starwood, or any other travel CC is right for you.

Message 2 of 11
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

What are your other Amex cards? If it were me id go with the CSP. Do you care what hotels you would be staying at? I think that the HHonors surpass has better rewards as far as hotels. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 3 of 11
bribro
Valued Contributor

Since you already have a Freedom card the CSP would make more sense IMO. It depends if your CSP annual spend/points accumulation justifies the AF though. You could always downgrade to the no AF regular Sapphire though.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 11
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@iMacDrew wrote:

What are your other Amex cards? If it were me id go with the CSP. Do you care what hotels you would be staying at? I think that the HHonors surpass has better rewards as far as hotels. 

you aren't understanding the point of the Starwood card.  Starwood points are amazing as they cantransferred at goodexchange rates to a ton of airlines.  As for op, it isn't a matter of how much they travel as much as how much they spend.  Starwood points are good for hotels and airline miles.  So they need to get enough points to get free flights or rooms.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 11
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

well after reading more into the SPG imo the CSP is a better card to get if OP will use it for transfering points to Airline tickets. The SPG really only gives good rewards for purchases at SPG Hotels. Other than that its a 1:1 pt:$ ratio.. Atleast with the CSP you get 2x Dining and Travel along with the sign up kicker and 7% dividend.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 6 of 11
c3troop
New Contributor

I have the amex blue cash, blue sky, chose freedom, and citi thank you premier.

We don't usually stay at any hotels nicer than a Hilton.

I lille the csp because we dine out a lot. I was sold on the csp until I read about the Starwood.
Message 7 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you spend enough, you would get both.  You'd put bonus spend (dining and travel other than Starwood stays) on the CSP and everyday spend that didn't fall into a bonus category on the SPG.  For airline miles, if you redeem SPG points in 20K incredments, you get 25K miles, so you are earning 1.25 miles per dollar.  For the same non-bonus categories, you would get 1.07 points/miles per dollar on the CSP. 

If you're only going to get one card, CSP is probably better for your purposes than SPG.  

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
c3troop
New Contributor

Would that be more beneficial than the chase trifecta?
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

After I have had my Chase Freedom for a year, I want to add the CSP -- AND the Starwood Amex BOTH.  We are also light travelers throughout the year but could become more so if the rewards accumulate accordingly.  Smiley Happy

The annual fees on those cards are such small amounts, that's inconsequential.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.