cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex TPC under Financial Review

wowzera
Valued Member

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

@Shadowfactor

 

About providing the 4506-T form, couldn't I get problems with that? Because I don't have any taxable income and neither paid any income tax to the United States. Wouldn't it be ideological falsehood?

I've seen this: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4506t.pdf

All data I could provide is my name and address in the US. I've no tax records.

 

As far as I am aware, Citibank, Bank of America and American Express issue cards for nonresident aliens.

Message 21 of 39
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

This is my personal opinion. I am not a CPA, Tax attorney or otherwise qualified to give advice for legal purposes.

I would fill it out. Under SSN: I would write no SSN. Foreign national
Provide your actual address in Brazil.

Under section 6. I would write Do Not file US taxes.

Sign it and send it to Amex. That way you provided the form and they can not say you refused to provide the form. The form was filled out as accurately as possible even though it won’t yield the results they want but you complied.

I personally think it’s a pointless. You more then likely aren’t going to keep your accounts.




Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 22 of 39
longtimelurker
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review


@Shadowfactor wrote:
This is my personal opinion. I am not a CPA, Tax attorney or otherwise qualified to give advice for legal purposes.

I would fill it out. Under SSN: I would write no SSN. Foreign national
Provide your actual address in Brazil.

Under section 6. I would write Do Not file US taxes.

Sign it and send it to Amex. That way you provided the form and they can not say you refused to provide the form. The form was filled out as accurately as possible even though it won’t yield the results they want but you complied.

I personally think it’s a pointless. You more then likely aren’t going to keep your accounts.

Right, one use of the form is to verify that you (well, under the given SSN) didn't file taxes for the year(s) in question.   So you can fill in the form to meet their request, but I agree that it is probably pointless.

Message 23 of 39
wowzera
Valued Member

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

Right @longtimelurker and @Shadowfactor

Thanks for your tips.

I talked with a co-worker of my account manager (she's not in the office until Sunday) and explained all over my situation again. He told me that will return the contact next week to see what they can do in my case.

I have filed the 4506-T this way, in case they ask me again for it:

 

1a: my full name;

1b: "No SSN"

3: my full name and full address in US;

6: "Do not file US Taxes"

7: Ticked the checkbox ("Verification of Nonfiling, which is proof from the IRS that you did not file a return for the year. Current year requests are only available after June 15th. There are no availability restrictions on prior year requests. Most requests will be processed within 10 business days")

 

Printed it and signed in the appropriate field.

Let's see what the account managers will tell me next week. Hope to figure it out and keep my cards.

 

 

Message 24 of 39
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

I apologize for this might not be a proper time to say this but I figure this might help others in the future regarding SUBS and FR/AA ;

When trying to reach a spend for a SUB, be aware that doing it all on the first month “might” or will “most likely” trigger security and fraud algorithms of banks due to their “bust-out” prevention algorithm. However, people with thicker and much longer credit history are most likely exempt or immune from this or people with a current/existing and good relationship with such lender. Based on DPs, Amex’s system typically takes a year to generate a spend profile for each customer so first month of $4K spend on a brand new card member will definitely trigger such algorithm and flag it for FR by a specialist.

Just wanted to share some DPs for myFICO would be visitors and new members.
Mission Accomplished on Dec 07 2020! Rebuild Complete!

New cc TLs : 1/6 ; 2/12 ; 3/24
HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 1
AAoA 5y6m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$236K+ Total Limits











Message 25 of 39
longtimelurker
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review


@JR_TX wrote:
I apologize for this might not be a proper time to say this but I figure this might help others in the future regarding SUBS and FR/AA ;

When trying to reach a spend for a SUB, be aware that doing it all on the first month “might” or will “most likely” trigger security and fraud algorithms of banks due to their “bust-out” prevention algorithm. .

Why "bust out"?   That type of fraud (which seems to the MF answer to everything) involves measured "good" behavior over a long period, before crashing out.   So this would be simple fraud prevention.

 

But I think it's somewhat overstating anyway, and probably depends on the amount of the min spend compared to imputed income and CL.    My daugher with a fairly short history just met the min spend of the Altitude ($4500) in one $4900 transaction, within a few days of getting the card.   Now a brand new no history person probably couldn't, but that would apply to amounts below the min spend anyway!

Message 26 of 39
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review


@longtimelurker wrote:

@JR_TX wrote:
I apologize for this might not be a proper time to say this but I figure this might help others in the future regarding SUBS and FR/AA ;

When trying to reach a spend for a SUB, be aware that doing it all on the first month “might” or will “most likely” trigger security and fraud algorithms of banks due to their “bust-out” prevention algorithm. .

Why "bust out"?   That type of fraud (which seems to the MF answer to everything) involves measured "good" behavior over a long period, before crashing out.   So this would be simple fraud prevention.

 

But I think it's somewhat overstating anyway, and probably depends on the amount of the min spend compared to imputed income and CL.    My daugher with a fairly short history just met the min spend of the Altitude ($4500) in one $4900 transaction, within a few days of getting the card.   Now a brand new no history person probably couldn't, but that would apply to amounts below the min spend anyway!


 

Yeah sorry I’ve left out the “slow-play” part of the bust out and for using that very toxic word around here. I guess what I’m trying to convey is, for a brand new card member with very little to no credit history and relationship with a cc lender is to be prepared to get scrutinized in the very likely scenario by putting so much spend on the first month of membership for whatever security/fraud prevention banks may have put in place in their algorithms. Doesn’t necessarily mean they’ll get flagged but just be prepared with all docs just in case.

 

Just wanna help honest and well-intent people in the future avoid unnecessary headaches. Smiley Happy

 

Happy Fri-yay y’all!

Mission Accomplished on Dec 07 2020! Rebuild Complete!

New cc TLs : 1/6 ; 2/12 ; 3/24
HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 1
AAoA 5y6m
UTIL 1% - 3%

$236K+ Total Limits











Message 27 of 39
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

random thoughts..make sure all your cards have a zero balance like right now.  call the # on the back of your plat card and get them to help you out of this mess.  they are not outsourced like the dept you might be connecting with right now or at least you will start of talking with someone in the us, prob florida.  you are in a bit of a pickle here, hope it ends well for you.  the lesson is rapid spend raises flags with most lenders.  if you did this with chase you would be shut down stat

Message 28 of 39
wowzera
Valued Member

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

@JR_TX

 

When trying to reach a spend for a SUB, be aware that doing it all on the first month “might” or will “most likely” trigger security and fraud algorithms of banks due to their “bust-out” prevention algorithm. However, people with thicker and much longer credit history are most likely exempt or immune from this or people with a current/existing and good relationship with such lender. Based on DPs, Amex’s system typically takes a year to generate a spend profile for each customer so first month of $4K spend on a brand new card member will definitely trigger such algorithm and flag it for FR by a specialist.

Sure. I certainly should know that before. Since I'm used to my brazilian cards, which I carry from more than a decade, I didn't realize I could have problems with US Amex for spending $ 4k in the first month of usage. My bad Smiley Sad I should have read more before  using the card as my only credit card to all purchases.

 

 

@bourgogne

 

random thoughts..make sure all your cards have a zero balance like right now.  call the # on the back of your plat card and get them to help you out of this mess.  they are not outsourced like the dept you might be connecting with right now or at least you will start of talking with someone in the us, prob florida.  you are in a bit of a pickle here, hope it ends well for you.  the lesson is rapid spend raises flags with most lenders.  if you did this with chase you would be shut down stat

I didn't know the department I was dealing with was outsourced. I will try to call American Express customer service and see if they can help me with this, although everything I could have said I have already told the account manager responsible for my service.

It may be standard procedure to require 4506-T for those who are in the same situation as me (Financial Review), but they don't realize that I am a nonresident and didn't applied and got approved using US Tax Documents, but my credit history and bank of america statements (which I linked at my account when I applied for the cards).

Maybe the outsourced department is adopting a standard practice even though I am a "differentiated" customer because of my nonresident status.

However, I don't think I can escalate the case within American Express, I will have to solve it only with the outsourced department.

Message 29 of 39
bourgogne
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex TPC under Financial Review

are all your balances zero?  what # did you call to get to them and did you get the feeling the agents were us based?  language, etc.  forget the stories, make this simple for anyhow to figure out and help you.  just tell them you are having a problem and have them pull up your accounts and have them tell you the story and how to hopefully fix it.  be clear and concise

Message 30 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.