Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Travel Rewards vs. Amex Jetblue

tag
MeloveFICO
New Visitor

Amex Travel Rewards vs. Amex Jetblue

Hello- I have an AMEX Travel Rewards and want to get an AMEX Jetblue instead as I travel regularly on Jetblue for work. Does anyone know if it is possible to switch AMEX cards? If i cannot switch, will this hurt my credit score to clse the AMEX travel and open an AMEX jetblue? I am buying a new house this year and want to be weary of my credit score. Thanks!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
zerobacan
Established Contributor

Re: Amex Travel Rewards vs. Amex Jetblue

Welcome to the forums. Sorry no one has responded to this.

I would give then a call. Im aware that amex doesnt do product changes the first year. But you can always app for the jet bIuem and cancel the other one. Your new amex wilo backdated to your member since date. And close accs dont hurt ya
Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 2 of 4
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

When are you looking to purchase a home?  In general, I would recommend applying for a new card to take advantage of the signup bonus, but not if you are looking to purchase a new home in the near future.  So when in the next year are you looking to buy?

Assuming you are looking to buy in the next 6 months, in which case I would probably hold off, I might still hold off on doing the PC.  Assuming you can PC, how much travel do you do on Jetblue?  Compare the signup bonus (I see an offer for 20K points, but haven't researched to see if that is the best current offer) to the amount of incremental rewards you'd earn having the card for the next 6 months.  In other words, if you wouldn't earn 20K points over and above what you are currently earning with your travel for the next 6 months, just wait and keep using your current card and then apply for the Jetblue card after the mortgage.  If you travel so heavily on Jetblue that delaying would cost you more points than the sign up bonus, go ahead and PC.  

Remember, you should be comparing the incremental difference in earning on your current card vs. earning on the Jetblue card.  If you compare total points rather than the marginal difference, you'll fail to account for the fact that you would already have been earning some rewards with your existing card.

To make it more complicated, you'll have to consider whether the current 20K offer (or whatever the best offer is) will still be around if you delay.  So, for example, if this card almost always only offers 10K as a bonus, I would use that as my benchmark in deciding whether to delay rather than the 20K figure.  I have no idea what the standard offer is on this card, how often they offer something higher, etc.  You might be able to find some info on that on flyertalk.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.