Amex Upgrade Offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Upgrade Offer?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don’t bet on it. Amex has been denying SUBs whenever they feel like it. 

Which is precisely why I suggest calling and speaking to a CSR and obtaining clarification where there appears to be vagueness or uncertainty.  Worst case scenario, you are told you don't get the SUB.  Had you opted to take the offer, you wouldn't have gotten the SUB anyway.  At least by calling you know what you're getting.  

Except the CSRs don’t always know either. The rules are very ambiguous and basically allow Amex to pick and choose which customers they don’t feel are churning. 

I would be shocked if OP actually gets the bonus having had the card previously. 

I get that.  Sometimes even all we can do to be informed is not enough.  The offer does seem to run contrary to previously stated Amex "policy" regarding SUBs.  

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I found this article;

https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/blue-cash-preferred-250-upgrade-offer/

I think I am going to "go for it".  I will report back.

Very interesting article.  Definitely looking forward to hearing how it works for you when put into practice.  

Message 12 of 19
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Don’t bet on it. Amex has been denying SUBs whenever they feel like it. 

Which is precisely why I suggest calling and speaking to a CSR and obtaining clarification where there appears to be vagueness or uncertainty.  Worst case scenario, you are told you don't get the SUB.  Had you opted to take the offer, you wouldn't have gotten the SUB anyway.  At least by calling you know what you're getting.  

Except the CSRs don’t always know either. The rules are very ambiguous and basically allow Amex to pick and choose which customers they don’t feel are churning. 

I would be shocked if OP actually gets the bonus having had the card previously. 

2015 I applied for BCE with a SUB. I applied as issuer was not willing to pc from another card. BCE was approved. SUB never honored. I have never at any time received a SUB from American Express. 

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, I hit the button. I will let you know if my SUB posts after the $2K spend. 

Message 14 of 19
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Good luckSmiley Happy
Message 15 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very interested if got sub
Message 16 of 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

There's an important distinction between a Welcome Offer and a Special Offer.  A Welcome Offer (SUB) is for new acquisitions of cards, while here the OP has received a targeted incentive from Amex to upgrade their existing card.  I've not seen any DPs of a targeted offer for an upgrade being denied because someone previously held the card.  There's little doubt in my mind that the bonus would be paid.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry I did not update sooner. YES, I got the sub. Looks like if you downgrade, after some time they will offer an upgrade with a Sub. From what I can tell this can happen indefinitely if you time it right.

Message 18 of 19
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

People on here do it all the time with the bc, everyday, and Delta. Like K said, while a welcome bonus has lifetime language, amex can target you with a bonus, usually smaller than a welcome, that bypasses the once in a lifetime rule.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.