Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Upgrade Offer?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Upgrade Offer?

I had the BCP for several yrs and collected the SUB. I downgraded it to a BCE last year. Now I log in to see an offer to upgrade to the BCP and collect a SUB?! I read all of the small print and no where does it say anything to the effect of not being able to get the SUB again. Please advise!

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 7.42.42 PM.png

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Upgrade Offer?

In the offers terms does it mention any lifetime language at all?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I had the BCP for several yrs and collected the SUB. I downgraded it to a BCE last year. Now I log in to see an offer to upgrade to the BCP and collect a SUB?! I read all of the small print and no where does it say anything to the effect of not being able to get the SUB again. Please advise!

Screen Shot 2019-03-05 at 7.42.42 PM.png

I and a lot of others have seen this offer.  I took it since I never had the BCP.  I did have the BCE offer 1 year before.  I haven't seen anyone in your situation post anything about their experience, but if I were you I'd call and speak with a CSR, tell them you're interested in the offer and tell them your concern.  It may feel as if you're dropping the dime on yourself and letting them in on a secret they may have overlooked, but the truth is, you're just saving yourself aggravation in the long run.  Hopefully you'll be pleasently surprised and can share that with the rest of us!  Good luck, and please let us know what you decide and the outcome either way!

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. I read it twice. 

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don’t bet on it. Amex has been denying SUBs whenever they feel like it. 

Message 5 of 19
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nope. I read it twice. 

I would call customer service to make sure but as @Anonymous pointed out the recent language on SUBs have it where AMEX can possibly retroactively claw the bonus back from you and offer you little recourse.

Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is precisely why I suggest calling and speaking to a CSR and obtaining clarification where there appears to be vagueness or uncertainty.  Worst case scenario, you are told you don't get the SUB.  Had you opted to take the offer, you wouldn't have gotten the SUB anyway.  At least by calling you know what you're getting.  

Message 7 of 19
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I got the BCP when it first came out, and pretty sure that there was a SUB with it.    At some stage (when I got the OBC) I converted it to a BCE, and late last year got the offer to upgrade (this was the $150 with AF waived the first year).   I accepted and got the SUB.

Caveat:   When I got the card in 2012 or so, Amex didn't have any lifetime language, which may or may not matter

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Which is precisely why I suggest calling and speaking to a CSR and obtaining clarification where there appears to be vagueness or uncertainty.  Worst case scenario, you are told you don't get the SUB.  Had you opted to take the offer, you wouldn't have gotten the SUB anyway.  At least by calling you know what you're getting.  

Except the CSRs don’t always know either. The rules are very ambiguous and basically allow Amex to pick and choose which customers they don’t feel are churning. 

I would be shocked if OP actually gets the bonus having had the card previously. 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this article;

https://milestomemories.boardingarea.com/blue-cash-preferred-250-upgrade-offer/

I think I am going to "go for it".  I will report back.

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.