Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Welcome offer Pop up

tag
alessandrom
Regular Contributor

Amex Welcome offer Pop up

Hello, so I'm pre approved for almost every Amex card there is. Currently a personal platinum holder. Have had it for 6 months. Was able to get the welcome bonus within a few weeks of signing up. Now whenever I try to submit a new application I'm getting a welcome offer pop up about not being qualified. 

I have never had Amex before this. Never have closed any Amex cards and I spend between 4-5k a month on my platinum. I'm not a churner never have been. Does this mean Amex thinks I'm not a profitable customer or what? Thanks in advance.

Current Score: Walmart TU 694 - Credit karma 679 - Credit Sesame 671- VantageScore 695 MyFico ?
Goal Score: 750
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Welcome offer Pop up

@alessandrom wrote:

Hello, so I'm pre approved for almost every Amex card there is. Currently a personal platinum holder. Have had it for 6 months. Was able to get the welcome bonus within a few weeks of signing up. Now whenever I try to submit a new application I'm getting a welcome offer pop up about not being qualified. 

I have never had Amex before this. Never have closed any Amex cards and I spend between 4-5k a month on my platinum. I'm not a churner never have been. Does this mean Amex thinks I'm not a profitable customer or what? Thanks in advance.

It sounds wrong to me. I think you should call them and try to straighten it out. As you have surmised, that type of message is for [usually for] people who have opened and closed Amex accounts too frequently.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 2 of 10
dragontears
Senior Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alessandrom wrote:

It sounds wrong to me. I think you should call them and try to straighten it out. As you have surmised, that type of message is for people who have opened and closed Amex accounts too frequently.

I have never closed an Amex card and I have seen the pop up. After about 6 months from the first time I saw it, it randomly went away.

Message 3 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alessandrom wrote:

It sounds wrong to me. I think you should call them and try to straighten it out. As you have surmised, that type of message is for people who have opened and closed Amex accounts too frequently.

There are instances that it is not exclusive to just AmEx accounts. Other non-AmEx factors are also subject to consideration.

Read the full disclosure(s) below:

Pop-up message:

"...based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer."

CCA:

"We may consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your eligibility to access Amex Offers. You may not be eligible to access Amex Offers if we, in our sole discretion, determine that you have previously engaged in abuse, misuse or gaming of the Amex Offers program, or any other Amex program. Available offers may vary for each eligible Card Member"

Also, there is nothing the OP can do as far as AmEx making any exceptions for being eligible for the SUB as this is system-driven. OP will have to wait/keep trying until such message/pop-up is no longer present.

Message 4 of 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@alessandrom wrote:

No idea if this is true, but in theory you could make a case that 6 months post SUB is "too soon" by their rules.  For all Amex knows, as soon as you get the SUB on the second card, you could close both.   If you have had the Plat open for a year, then by most Amex metrics you become a non-SUB-abuser and should  be fine.

But of course lots of people continue to get SUBs after less than a year,  so this clearly isn't a real rule, but just showing why it could be defended.

Message 5 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alessandrom wrote:

There are instances that it is not exclusive to just AmEx accounts. Other non-AmEx factors are also subject to consideration.

Read the full disclosure(s) below:

Pop-up message:

"...based on your history with credit card balance transfers, American Express welcome offers, introductory APR offers, or the number of Cards you have opened and closed, you are not eligible to receive the welcome offer."

CCA:

"We may consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your eligibility to access Amex Offers. You may not be eligible to access Amex Offers if we, in our sole discretion, determine that you have previously engaged in abuse, misuse or gaming of the Amex Offers program, or any other Amex program. Available offers may vary for each eligible Card Member"

Also, there is nothing the OP can do as far as AmEx making any exceptions for being eligible for the SUB as this is system-driven. OP will have to wait/keep trying until such message/pop-up is no longer present.

Thanks. I stand corrected. Change that to "that type of message is usually for people who have opened and closed Amex accounts too frequently"

Message 6 of 10
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@dragontears wrote:

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@alessandrom wrote:

I have never closed an Amex card and I have seen the pop up. After about 6 months from the first time I saw it, it randomly went away.

Thanks. I've corrected my post to say "usually". 

Message 7 of 10
arunkumarmm
Regular Contributor

@alessandrom wrote:

I opened Amex Gold Exactly 2 years back in March'2020. I opened a ED card last week, I got the pop-up that im not eligible for the sub. I still have my Gold open, and did not open or close any other Amex. Did not close non-Amex cards. The only cards I have ever closed are CreditOne and Bucketed Cap1 QS. That to was back in 2019.

I got a 30K referal bonus last year with having my friend open a Gold card from my referal link. Not sure they dont give a SUB because of that.

But I'm planning to close my Gold card, maybe they predicted that 😆

Message 8 of 10
alessandrom
Regular Contributor

I have 6 cards closed on my credit report. All sub prime cards from my rebuild that offered no Sub at the time I opened them. Not sure what's going on but I'll try to give them a call to see if they can shed some light. Thank you all 

Current Score: Walmart TU 694 - Credit karma 679 - Credit Sesame 671- VantageScore 695 MyFico ?
Goal Score: 750
Message 9 of 10
jcooks
Established Contributor

Were you recently declined for an Amex?  When I first got my Gold and hit my spend I applied for a BBP and was declined.  Next day I tried applying for a new card and gave me that same pop-up.  Found out you have to wait a period of time before you can apply again.  Since then I've been approved for 3 Amex and haven't seen that Amex pop up message.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.