Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync AU Question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Zync AU Question

Hey guys,

I was thinking about helping a close family member with thier credit by making them a AU on my account (and imposing a limit of course).

I was wondering:

• They have a major baddie (due to BK, one of the write-offs being AMEX) however thier FICO is 670, would they be rejected for a AU, even though I am the one that is responsible? Does AMEX do a Credit check for a Authorized User?
  • Will me ATTEMPTING to get them a AU card impact my account? (in other words, if I try to make someone who had a BK with AXP a AU, will it have the potential to make me giulty by association in AMEXs eyes?)

Thanks,

MV

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex Zync AU Question

From my understanding they will not grant the AU because they burned them.  I wouldn't even bother trying. Not worth bringing that to their attention.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

That interesting considering its my credit...

Thanks tho, may be best not to risk it...

Message 3 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

They don't do a credit check per se on AU applicants, but they do run them through their records, and that's when they find that the would-be AU burned them in the past.

AmEx will hold AU's responsible for their own charges (their card has a different number, as I recall) in case the account goes sour, so they won't take prior AmEx burners as AU's.

I agree, not worth it. It's a generous thought, though!

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ya, Per the advice of my FICO forum counsel I have decided not to even try... lol

Thanks again guys!

MV

Message 5 of 13
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Hi there,

I actually added my sister as an AU on my Zync card and you have two options:

• 1.) Add her without her SSN
    • 2.) Add her with her SSN

If you add her without her SSN she will be an AU but NOT have the 'member since' backdating. If you add her with her SSN she will have the 'member since' backdating.  I opted to not do the backdating because she has only 1 credit card that is 6 years old - Capital One with a $1,000 limit. If I had her with the SSN then her AAoA will be lowered since I've only had AMEX since January 2008.  Of course, regardless which path is chosen I still had to pay a $15 fee for the card.  

She has no baddies either. They did not do a pull on her either.

-M

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmmmm

This adds a new dynamic to my conundrum.... lol

So you have a clear set choice not to add a social? Could that allow someone to slip past the blacklist? lol

MV

Message 7 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I burned Amex and it took them a few years to notice I had Auth Accounts and promptly cancelled it... Fast forward a couple years and I was added to business account with no problem becuase no social was asked for... fast forward another couple years and Amex seems to have stopped verifying auth credit or past history, because I was able to be added back on all the accounts my family has, they report to my credit and everything.  I did it over the phone and rep told me in seconds that it was approved and card would be sent.  If for whatever reason the auth is declined it won't effect your account, so you could try it

Message 8 of 13
ArisGreek
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you have a clear choice. All they ask for is the person's name, relationship, and birth date.  I asked if this will affect my credit score and she said no.  Keep in mind this won't go on her credit report since there is no SSN tied to it.

It's more of an "emergency" card for her.  But to my knowledge, even if you give them the persons SSN number there is still no inquiry, but would then report on her credit.

===========
TU: 745(TU98) | EQ: 774 | EX: ? | NO BADDIES!
What's in my wallet? AMEX Platinum, United Presidential Plus World Elite MC, AMEX JetBlue, Nordstrom Visa Sig, Chase Sapphire Preferred, Discover More, AMEX Zync, Citi AAdvantage Plat Select Visa, Banana Republic, Home Depot
Message 9 of 13
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That's interesting that they give you that option, but I'm not convinced that they won't find out that the would-be AU has a bad history with American Express. Name and DOB might well be all they need.

Remember, they're checking their internal records, not the credit reports. Smiley Wink

Oh, and FWIW, Discover didn't ask for my SSN when DXH added me to his card back in the day, and it popped up on my credit reports immediately. SSN isn't necessary for an account to land on a report. (Which explains many of the accounts that show up that don't belong to the consumer anyway!)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.