cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync NPSL: Does having autopay enabled increase spending ability?

tag
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

Amex Zync NPSL: Does having autopay enabled increase spending ability?

I know there's a version of the Zync card that has a $500 limit if you have autopay enabled, and a $200 limit if you don't. That got me to thinking: does enabling autopay on a card with NPSL have a similar effect?

I'm in my first month with my Zync, I have autopay enabled, and the "check spending ability" tool has approved me for over $4000 (at least). I don't anticipate having a monthly balance any larger than that in the near future, so for me, the question is purely out of curiosity. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with getting increased spending ability by enabling autopay?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex Zync NPSL: Does having autopay enabled increase spending ability?

@LionLaw wrote:
I know there's a version of the Zync card that has a $500 limit if you have autopay enabled, and a $200 limit if you don't. That got me to thinking: does enabling autopay on a card with NPSL have a similar effect?

I'm in my first month with my Zync, I have autopay enabled, and the "check spending ability" tool has approved me for over $4000 (at least). I don't anticipate having a monthly balance any larger than that in the near future, so for me, the question is purely out of curiosity. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with getting increased spending ability by enabling autopay?

IMO I doubt that it does. The easiest way to increase your spending ability is to gradually increase your spending by hat you can afford and PIF. Charge cards from AMEX tend to have very nice CL's if you treat them right.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 5
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Your over thinking things, just use the card for what ever you can afford to pay for when the statement cuts, don't worry about the limit untill you get a call or a charge is declined then make a payment the CSR will open the account again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  After a few months AMEX will understand your spending and your ability to repay, you shouldn't get any more calls unless you exceed the norm by 200% or so. 

Don't  exceed your monthly income, make your payments before they are due and everyone will be fine and happy. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 3 of 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@jamesdwi wrote:

Your over thinking things, just use the card for what ever you can afford to pay for when the statement cuts, don't worry about the limit untill you get a call or a charge is declined then make a payment the CSR will open the account again. Wash, rinse, repeat.  After a few months AMEX will understand your spending and your ability to repay, you shouldn't get any more calls unless you exceed the norm by 200% or so. 

Don't  exceed your monthly income, make your payments before they are due and everyone will be fine and happy. 

Words to live by with AMEX!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 5
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Nah; auto pay pays on the "please pay by date"

Honestly; the folks with high "spending abilities" pay before this date.

My "spending ability" is over 6k... don't know how much over. I started using the card heavily right out of the gate. I would pay in full every time my balance got to 1500. Then I increased it to 2000. Then 2500. Then I let it get all the way to 2900. Then I "checked spend ability" in may... approved. I actually ended up charging 5750 in may and let the balance report. Any higher than that and I would have had problems actually paying in full. Ytd spend is about 23k on the zync

I got my card in Feb. Hope my story helps!
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.