Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex Zync - any shot??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex Zync - any shot??

Or perhaps any other Amex...but I hear Zync is "easier" to get...

Scores:

TU 704

EQ 676

EX - 700 on CCT...

Had BK 7 in 2005 discharged Feb 06.  Never had an Amex, IIB or otherwise, have been an AU on my wife's Amex (and used the AU card at Costco myself a good bit) since Feb 2007.  No baddies whatsoever since BK, but my BK and IIB's of course still show up.

Would I likely have any chance in hell at either a Zync, Costco, or Skymiles Amex??

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
ALP
New Contributor

Re: Amex Zync - any shot??

I can only speak for the Zync here, but I just received it with a CCT score of 650 on EX (I don't know my FICO sorry) my only baddie being a late payment less than 2 years old!    I hear Amex isn't BK friendly so that may be an obstacle.  But I admit to being completely surprised at my Zync approval with a my late being so recent.   Being an AU on an AMEX helps alot.

My guess would be if you want to test the waters, go for the easy one (Zync) as you can always upgrade later if you're approved. 

Starting Score: 610
Current Score: 676
TU: 678
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I pulled the trigger - declined - BK only reason cited.  Looks like they only pulled Experian - where I had no inquiries last 12 mos so it shouldn't hurt too much.

I can't understand Amex.  While I know why some creditors are BK-unfriendly, obviously, with Amex, I can't understand why they'll approve mediocre applicants wtih past chargeoffs and collections, mid 600's scores, but NO BK, and me, over 700 on at least one of the three CRA's, no dice due to a BK despite squeaky-clean since and not burning Amex in that BK.

Message 3 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

I am not a risk management expert, but quite frankly I would have to assume that the odds of someone who filed bankruptcy (affecting multiple trade lines), is more likely to default than someone who has a charge off (more of an isolated event). Charge-offs can be explained a way, bankruptcy is a bigger obstacle.

Sorry about your decline, can always recon if you wanna give it another shot.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't know how if I tried...

Message 5 of 11
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Check the stickies at the top of the page and/or the decline letter you get from AMEX. Call there recon(sideration) department and plead your case. A person will manually review your file and gives you a chance to push all your positive characteristics and potentially get the account opened. They have already done the damage by pulling your report, you might as well take a shot and see if you can get the account if you want it.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Message 6 of 11
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

From all the reading and searches I've done here, there seems to be no rhyme or reason for why someone gets approved.

Thin history, but no negs= approval..

3 dergos on EX (as in my case), but good AMEX history= approval.

Low FICO score, still gets approved.

Decent Score, but AMEX doesn't like the CC's you currently have= denial.

Apparently they use their own algorithm, it's not just about your score.  

However, from what I've read here, it seems alot more people get approved than denied so you probably have a decent shot.

edited to add: This is only for the ZYNC card.

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Message 7 of 11
ficonightmare
Frequent Contributor

Joe- which card did  you apply for?

Starting Score: 600s
Current Score: EQ 08 798 on 5/28/14, TU 792 on 5/27/4 via Barclay, EX 798 on 5/28/14
Goal Score: 760

Message 8 of 11
JM-AM
Valued Contributor

Just a FYI

Thread is about 5 months old. May be a little while before Joe sees it if he is still actively a member on here.

Good Luck
May all your dreams and wishes become a reality!
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got approved recently... one paid and one unpaid collection. 117, and 102 dollars. medical collections. 

I was approved. Their internal risk seems to think I'm OK. I would have to agree. 

I still have not received my card. anxiously waiting

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.