Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex activation CLI?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex activation CLI?

A little history here for a data point first.  I'm 33 yrs old and I have a pretty low AAoA(around a year, oldest account 2 years) but my scores are all in the 750's(from MyFico) with 0 baddies and utilization at 1%. Income around 100k a year

I just got approved for an Amex BCP with a $3600 limit (also have RSVP code mailers for PRG and EDP).  

I had read all of the threads and saw that you could request a SP CLI on activation, so i tried it.  I got the 7-10 day message , I was wondering so i decided to do the live chat thing.  He said i was "denied". im not sure of the reason they gave yet but it was on the weekend and i couldn't call the phone number but he said i could call the credit limit department on monday and talk to them.  I'm pretty introverted and i procrastinate, so i didn't... lol...

I actually have no doubt that if i called and talked to them that i would have gotten a CLI but i didn't actually need it because i carry no balances anyways The main reason i am making this post is to inquire about people that have asked for a CLI on activation from Amex and didn't get it...... Did you have to wait 60 or 90 days? Did it count as a denial or was it just not processed due to it being too early?  I know people say that the 60 day rule no longer applies but when talking to the rep on live chat, he said that it hadn't been 60 days and that was the only immediate reason he gave.

A couple more data points about the approval: 

At the time of the App i had:

Discover IT $3600 (requested a CLI the same night and was approved for $6500, this is the card i use most)

Sallie Mae $3500 (rquested CLI same night and was denied, i only use this card for gas.  5% back on gas)

2 Cap 1 Plats $2500 and $750 limits (Live chat that night to request a PC to QS and all they would offer me was QS1 w/ annual fee.  I declined and closed both cards, I have way better cards and haven't used these cards in months because of no rewards)

So now i have my Discover, Amex BCP, and Sallie Mae.  I am about to go out of town for work for about a month and will charge my weekly hotel stay to my Amex BCP.  I'm sure i will get a CLI when i request it but I don't know when to ask for it... 60 or 90 days?  Also, I know none of my cards are the best on travel rewards but i'm staying in a smaller town with not many hotels.  I will be charging about $600(microtel suites by Wyndam) a week to my BCP to try to give it some use for when i request a CLI.

So, should i request at 61 or 91 days and doesn't it even matter? If i request at 61 days and they say it's too soon, can i still request at 91 days?

Also, any suggestions about cards that may benefit me besides what i have? I could possibly travel anywhere in the US for my work and maybe even out of the country but i would rather stay home and am going to look for work at home after i get done with this project(about a month long. I was on this site for 8 months but left in February and they asked me to come back for a month of night shift.  I am an industrial coatings inspector, in case people were wondering)

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex activation CLI?

well you were technically denied the CLI so you have to wait 91 days for them to review it again. no worries though. and are you hotel specific or just whatever? you could get a hotel card, CSP (if you're okay for the 5/24 rule) or maybe a venture. hard to tell with the limited info on it though.
Message 2 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
well you were technically denied the CLI so you have to wait 91 days for them to review it again. no worries though. and are you hotel specific or just whatever? you could get a hotel card, CSP (if you're okay for the 5/24 rule) or maybe a venture. hard to tell with the limited info on it though.

As far as my hotel stays, I'm not very picky.  I won't stay in a Motel 6 but i[m not going to spend an outrageuos amount of money.  The hotels i stay at are pretty much middle class types.  Nice hotels but nothing fancy... 

I can't app for Chase card until late this year.  That's when i got the Cap 1 cards that i closed( sept 2014).  I am right at 5 cards in the last 2 years and i was in the garden for a year before i just now app'd for the Amex.

Message 3 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

How soon until you go out of town?

One of my goal cards is the Wyndham Rewards by Barclay.  I just got the AAdvantage (citi) and HHonours (AMEX) cards (and Southwest about 6 months ago, and they gave me my first auto CLI since I was in Credit Steps) because I am tired of losing points to inactivity (I travel a bit, but not consistently enough to avoid losing points).  I will be in a Wyndham hotel for a conference in May, and would love to have their card for that, but Barclays and I have a...rocky...relationship.

If you're going Wyndham, I would suggest trying for that card.  I'd also go La Quinta (they're FNBO, and denied me for an Overstock card recently).  Red Roof's card is through Comenity Bank.  If you can find a Hilton property, the Hhonours card is pretty good.

The best part about these cards (even better if they don't have an AF) is that it takes some effort to lose the points you build up.  (I left over 20k miles on Qantas, hence getting the AAdvantage card, so that will NEVER happen again).  Most of the hotel-specific cards have at the very least no-AF versions.

That's what I would do (and why).  I am sure others will have just-as-valid advice.

Message 4 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

How soon until you go out of town?

One of my goal cards is the Wyndham Rewards by Barclay.  I just got the AAdvantage (citi) and HHonours (AMEX) cards (and Southwest about 6 months ago, and they gave me my first auto CLI since I was in Credit Steps) because I am tired of losing points to inactivity (I travel a bit, but not consistently enough to avoid losing points).  I will be in a Wyndham hotel for a conference in May, and would love to have their card for that, but Barclays and I have a...rocky...relationship.

If you're going Wyndham, I would suggest trying for that card.  I'd also go La Quinta (they're FNBO, and denied me for an Overstock card recently).  Red Roof's card is through Comenity Bank.  If you can find a Hilton property, the Hhonours card is pretty good.

The best part about these cards (even better if they don't have an AF) is that it takes some effort to lose the points you build up.  (I left over 20k miles on Qantas, hence getting the AAdvantage card, so that will NEVER happen again).  Most of the hotel-specific cards have at the very least no-AF versions.

That's what I would do (and why).  I am sure others will have just-as-valid advice.

I'm leaving tomorrow but that is a great suggestion.  The Wyndham card seems like a pretty good one for me.  It covers a lot of the mid range hotels that i would probably stay at when i go out of town.  I will probably hold off on getting it since i'm only going to be out of town for a month this time and I'll probably be working at home for a while after that.  Thank you for the suggestion though, I will definitely get that card if I have to travel again.  

Message 5 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried on activation and was told the account was too new and had to wait 91 days.

Message 6 of 25
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I actually have no doubt that if i called and talked to them that i would have gotten a CLI but i didn't actually need it because i carry no balances anyways  

A call doesn't change your credit profile or income -- the primary factors that determine what CLI you'd qualify for.  AmEx may consider other factors as well but method of request is not one of them.

@Anonymous wrote:

The main reason i am making this post is to inquire about people that have asked for a CLI on activation from Amex and didn't get it...... Did you have to wait 60 or 90 days? Did it count as a denial or was it just not processed due to it being too early?

You were denied.  That starts the 90 day clock for you.  60 for new accounts is no longer enforced.

@Anonymous wrote:

So, should i request at 61 or 91 days and doesn't it even matter? If i request at 61 days and they say it's too soon, can i still request at 91 days?

Yup.  Definitely read the 3x CLI Guide.  I don't have a link handy but it's the first hit when I Google "3x CLI".  While 60 days is no longer relevant the rest of the info is still relevant.

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a pretty low AAoA(around a year, oldest account 2 years) but my scores are all in the 750's(from MyFico) with 0 baddies and utilization at 1%. Income around 100k a year

Most of that is good but it's never just about score.  0 derogs is a must given the impact of Payment History and low revolving utilization helps Amounts Owed.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

However, the low AAoA does not help and if you've had recent credit seeking activity that could be a concern as well.  It looks like you're on a good track though.  AAoA will improve with time and responsible usage and as as you add accounts.

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, any suggestions about cards that may benefit me besides what i have?

We'd need a lot more details about your requirements to provide recommendations.  Are you just looking for rewards on spend?  If so, we need a better idea of your major spend categories (including noncategory) and volumes.  For cash back cards that's probably enough but for rewards programs like Membership Rewards, Ultimate Rewards, Thank You, etc you'd really have to go beyond just the reward earn rates and consider the redemption options you can leverage with each program as that can have a significant impact on rewards value.  For most of those programs, best value is attained by transferring to a travel partner and redeeming with the partner's program so you'd have to look into those as well.  Those programs also generally require a larger amount of spend.  For lower spend and those looking for simplicity, cash back may be the better option.  If you're looking for other features and benefits then we need that information.  What do you find lacking with your existing cards?

Selecting cards isn't just about the cards but about one's specific needs/wants and what best suits the individual.

Message 7 of 25
newhis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I tried on activation and was told the account was too new and had to wait 91 days.

+1 for my DW, she got 3X CLI the next try (91 days), they denied after 180 days and she has a higher than normal util right now, so she will wait until util is less than 10% to ask for a CLI, it will be around 150 days from last denial.

@OP, I guess you are new to Amex, they looked into your reports and match your highest limit. They want to see how you handle/use the card. Now that your Discover will report a new limit I think you have a pretty good chance to get a CLI in 91 days. Good luck.

Message 8 of 25
SayHey
Established Member

@takeshi74 wrote:

Most of that is good but it's never just about score.  0 derogs is a must given the impact of Payment History and low revolving utilization helps Amounts Owed.

http://www.myfico.com/crediteducation/whatsinyourscore.aspx

Don't fall for this forum meme.  Plenty of people have received a 3x CLI at activation with derogs in their file, myself included.  

Message 9 of 25
xaustie
New Contributor

My situation - app'ed online in response to a snail mail pre-qual from Amex for the BCE. Was approved instantly for 10k SL. When I received the card in the mail I activated it and then immediately requested a 3x CLI online. Got the message that a response was coming in the mail for my CLI. I then got an email about an hour later that they had processed my request and that I needed to call an 800 number for further info. I called and was told that I need to wait 60 days before I can request a CLI so they can get some history with me. I stated that it was my understanding that the "wait 60 days" thing was no longer the case. The CSR specifically said that Amex has reinstituted this policy. About a week later I received the snail mail below that confirmed that I need to wait 60 days.

My guess is that if you have stellar credit or already have some history with them then you probably can get a CLI at activation. I also believe that the 90/180 day rule still applies, i.e. if you are denied a CLI and you are "outside" of a wait period then you have to wait 90 days before you can request a CLI. Requesting a CLI while you are in a wait period does not "reset" the clock. If you request and get a CLI then you have to wait 180 days before you can request another CLI.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.