Did you mean: 

Amex advice?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex advice?

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for advice. Makes sense. 

Also I've been wondering, should I consider the gold primier card instead of the platinum card for now? Not doing too much traveling nowadays. The gold primier annual fee is more comparible to the delta platinum card. I was thinking maybe I should stick with the gold card for now and upgrade to the platinum when I start traveling more? I like the fact that the platinum cards are metalic now though but that doesn't really justify the additional $350 a year on fees xD.

No, considering that for just $200, ONE TIME, I can send you a credit card sized piece of metal, yours to keep and decorate as you wish!

If you aren't travelling, the plat doesn't make a lot of sense.  PRG makes more, but still may not be worthwhile.  Downgrading to the blue is probably the best first step, then you are avoiding AFs entirely.   If you don't really need to pay for a charge card, don't bother!

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I mean I do travel some, for instance this past year I travelled to 2 domestic locations (New York and Georgia) for a week each. I like the idea that if I had the plat card, I could have used the uber benefits in both places as well as possible hotel upgrades and lounge access. Yet to determine if that is worth the $550 though.

Message 12 of 18
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Not sure where this topic belongs so I've also posted the same thread under Credit Applications.

Hi @Anonymous, I've merged your two threads into one since it's against our forum guidelines to cross post.  Thanks for understanding.

--UB

Message 13 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah sorry my mistake

Message 14 of 18
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

i am keeping mine just for the  annual companion certificate. for $195/year, i think it is a great deal. a domestic long haul could cost upwards of $500-600 easy. if you fly at least once a year with one other person, i'd keep it just for that.

Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes they pool BUT you have to make sure you are using your platinum multiplier. Gold is x3 and platinum is x5 in their own membership booking travel portal. So I use my other cards to build points and my platinum rewards portal to book flights. All the cards have different rewards. Some are small some are larger. I hope I haven’t confused you sorry. I do the same this with Chase, whether they pool automatically or manually like chase. You should use the points in the best rewards portal.

Message 16 of 18
wingennis
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I currently have the Amex Platinum Delta card which has a 40K CL on it. I don't really use delta anymore though so this delta card is not really very beneficial for me. Ideally I want to get rid of this card and opt for the regular Amex Platinum card which is more appealing to me. However the Delta card is my highest CL and also one of my oldest accounts so getting rid of it would make a HUGE dent in my credit score/history. I also don't like the thought of having 2 high annual premium cards from Amex when I don't need both at the same time... 

I checked today and I'm pre-approved for the Amex plat card if I choose to get it. Any way I could get just the Amex plat without taking a huge credit hit? Am I just stuck with the Delta card forever?

I second changing your Delta Platinum to Delta Blue.  No annual fee and you keep your credit line and history.  I did that myself earlier this summer when I got my Platinum.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.