cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex allowed number of revolvers is unlimited..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex allowed number of revolvers is unlimited..

I know the question of how many Amex revolvers one can have has been asked a lot. I just chatted with an Amex rep who seemed very knowledgable. I called in to close my Delta Gold since I rarely fly Delta and she told me I should convert to no fee Blue. I explained that since I had 7 cards with them, 5 of which are revolvers I should probably close in case I wanted to app for a new product down the road. She said that Amex absolutely had no revolver limit and actually confirmed it with a supervisor.   Of course there is probably an internal limit per customer based on different markers, but they have no blanket max revolver policy. And stuff...

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex allowed number of revolvers is unlimited..

While the CSR may have sounded as well-informed, I'd take the information with a grain of salt, at least until something official is published or known that confirms that (e.g. DoC, FT, TPG, etc.). Unless this is new information or internal policy that hadn't cascaded just yet.

It's been known that there are instances in which it may be possible to have more than 5 revolvers, but it's a YEMV (aside from AmEx purchasing or inheriting another portfolio - Citi Hilton CCs come to mind).
Message 2 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Yes, the official Amex policy as of a year or so ago is that there is not a limit to the number of accounts that can be issued to a single member.  However, in practice, their own internal systems usually limit that number to 5.  While I am sure that there are people that have more, I've really only seen 6 when people had their Citi Hilton cards moved over to Amex.

Edit: And, as often happens, @FinStar beat me by a matter of seconds.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was always "pre-approved" for all their cards until I hit revolver number 5, then they changed to "expanding membership, bla bla". Only ones I'm pre-approved for now are charge cards. So there's that:-) 

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Doctor of Credit actually commented on this subject just over a week ago:  Amex Credit Card Limits

And linked to this article on Frequent Miler where the writer has 7 Amex credit cards:  Is the Amex 5 Credit Card Limit Gone?

Message 5 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Doctor of Credit actually commented on this subject just over a week ago:  Amex Credit Card Limits

And linked to this article on Frequent Miler where the writer has 7 Amex credit cards:  Is the Amex 5 Credit Card Limit Gone?

Amex has publicly stated that there is no limit.  The FM article states it essentially the same as I mentioned earlier:

"I’m feeling fairly confident now that the hard limit on credit cards is gone.  Or, maybe they have a limit, but it varies by person."

Good to see data points of people now having more that aren't Anonymous Millionaire on FT, though, so thanks for the article links.

Edit: Also, that opening line: "Yesterday, I accidentally applied for the SPG card."  That should be the new motto around here!  Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the insight @K-in-Boston.

Well, for the sake of science and DPs, I suppose I'll be a GP on future revolver prospects. I was eyeing the SPG (personal), but then there's the SUB eligibility restriction (previously published matrix) for having an existing Chase Marriott CC.
Message 7 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@FinStar you have 5 days before the restrictions go into effect.  Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 17
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@K-in-Boston, well about that lol!

I opened 2 revolvers (Cash Magnet and Hilton... I became weak with the SUBs 😁) around mid-July so I'm afraid I won't be able to clear that hurdle due to the number of revolvers that can be approved in 90 days. Poor timing on my end.

But, the good news (if I interpreted the matrix correctly), my Marriott CC (personal) will be 24+ months in the next few months, so I can still try for the SPG (biz), provided the SUB is still available by then. Maybe.
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I know the question of how many Amex revolvers one can have has been asked a lot. I just chatted with an Amex rep who seemed very knowledgable. I called in to close my Delta Gold since I rarely fly Delta and she told me I should convert to no fee Blue. I explained that since I had 7 cards with them, 5 of which are revolvers I should probably close in case I wanted to app for a new product down the road. She said that Amex absolutely had no revolver limit and actually confirmed it with a supervisor.   Of course there is probably an internal limit per customer based on different markers, but they have no blanket max revolver policy. And stuff...

I was told the same OP. Then again someone told me Charge cards don't count. So that makes my newly approved ED my 5th Card.

Here is the list of Amex Cards I have right now.. I might be on the same boat as you on the Delta.

BCE, Delta Gold, Delta Plat, SPG, ED and Amex Plat.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.