Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and Backdating?

tag
morganirish
Regular Contributor

Amex and Backdating?

I read alot of posts from people saying that Amex "backdates" a card.   What exactly does that mean? 

Message 1 of 44
43 REPLIES 43
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Re: Amex and Backdating?

When you open an AmEx account for the first time, say .. this month.  It will report as 12/11.  When you open another AmEx card, it takes the month of your new account and the year of the original account and reports that to the CRAs.

In short.. Opening an account in 12/11 (Which reports as 12/11) and then one in 1/12.  The 1/12 will report as 1/11 instead of 1/12.

TU08:: 754 (4/14) EQ: 745 (6/14) 753 (1/13) Ex: 766 (12/11)
Goal: 800! Then Keep it there and keep growing!~
Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 2 of 44
morganirish
Regular Contributor

ok so if I open a second Amex card, in a year that will re-age my first One? 

Message 3 of 44
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Your first one will keep the date of the first one, however the second one will take the month of your approval, and the year of the first approval to report to the CRAs.

Hope that helps!

Card(s): HSBC Premier WMC: 5,000 (7/09), Chase Freedom 6,000 (11/11) BCE 3,200 (12/11) Chase Saph: 5,000 (5/12)
Message 4 of 44
morganirish
Regular Contributor

sorry I am slow sometimes!  Thanks. 

Message 5 of 44
tburns
Regular Contributor

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Your first one will keep the date of the first one, however the second one will take the month of your approval, and the year of the first approval to report to the CRAs.

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I was always under the impression that it just backdated newer accounts to the date of your first account. Your explanation of it makes it even more advantageous.

So since I opened my first Amex this month if I went for another Amex next month (January) then it would actually add a year to my history in theory.

Message 6 of 44
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@tburns wrote:

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Hope that helps!

Thanks. I was always under the impression that it just backdated newer accounts to the date of your first account. Your explanation of it makes it even more advantageous.

So since I opened my first Amex this month if I went for another Amex next month (January) then it would actually add a year to my history in theory.

Yup!

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 7 of 44
dalebb
Valued Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

@tburns wrote:

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Hope that helps!

Yup!

got to luv Amex

Message 8 of 44
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

@tburns wrote:

@PetRaccoon wrote:

Hope that helps!

Yup!

got to luv Amex

I could be wrong here but I don't think any other banks beside Amex does backdating. Chase are charging pretty hard to compete with Amex in the near future imo and I think more banks should adopt Amex backdating policy. The backdating of cards will definitely eliminate the drop in AAoA and help consumers (us). In the end..as stated, you "got to luv Amex" and I do Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 44
PetRaccoon
New Contributor

Chase is still the largest issuer of credit cards I believe.  They're just not nearly as "prestigious" as AmEx was or is, while they want to be, I bet.

Message 10 of 44
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.