Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and Chase

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex and Chase

Hi, this is my first post on the boards. Been lurking around for the last few days. In the next 3-6 months I will be looking at applying for another credit card. After doing a lot of reading over the last week I have narrowed down my next card to either an Amex Gold card or Chase Freedom. I think I have pretty good odds of getting either but wanted to run it by the boards first. 

Here is my credit background:

From Experian Website on 1/21/19

-Credit Scores- Experian 708, Equifax 719, Transunion 710

-My oldest account is 3 years and 7 months old. Capital one Secured card. Limit $500.   I got real lazy and let some payments slide on this card. 4 late payments with the most recent 9 months ago. Since then all payments have been made on time. Credit utilization 4%.

-Newest account opened in November of 2018 was Capital One Quicksilver One. Credit limit of $3,000. Credit utilization below 30% and paid in full every month. No late payments. From Capital One once 5 months of on time payments they will bump up to $3,500. I am thinking in 6 months of asking if they will change for Quicksilver to avoid another $39 annual fee.

-Revolving utilization 1%

-Only 1 credit card inquiry in the last 2 years. 1 other inquiry by a propane company in August of 2017.

-No mortgage and no car loans. Only Credit Cards.

I think I hit the major points. What are thoughts? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex and Chase

Have you checked the prequal sites for both AMEX and Chase to see what pops up?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, why those two cards in particular?  They're very different from each other - the Freedom is a 5% cashback quarterly category card that earns points, but those points can only be used for cashback unless you also have a Sapphire Preferred or Sapphire Reserve.  By contrast, the Amex Gold earns 4X transferrable points on restaurants and groceries plus 3X on airfare but carries an annual fee.  The Amex Gold is also a charge card, which means it's broadly not designed to carry a balance from month to month.

Message 3 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Checked both this morning. So far no preapproved offers.

Message 4 of 19
xaximus
Valued Contributor

The QS1 is one of the harder cards to PC since it carries an AF. I would recommending in trying to PC that to a non-AF QS card. Also, I would check prequals as @simplynoir stated.

FYI - the Amex Gold card is a charge card - they generally have more lax UW vs revolving cards. What are your reasons for both cards?

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 5 of 19
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

How late were the payments? That could have a big impact on approval.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I got the Chase Freedom card I would go for the Chase Sapphire card next and transfer points from the Freedom card to the Sapphire card for travel. Would probably look to get that card 6 months later. I don't plan on carrying a balance on it and really don't mind the annual fee either. I could easily use the perks to offset the annual fee.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe they were all 30 days late.

Message 8 of 19
Remedios
Credit Mentor

With such recent multiple delinquencies, I'd hold off on applying for anything  right now 

Even if approved, it will be under less than stellar terms 

I'd let more time pass 

Message 9 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd follow the advice of SImplynoir and do the prequalify on both sites. Also, do you bank at Chase?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.