Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and FICO score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex and FICO score

Hey all, 

Very nervous. I have 3 Amex cards that never carry a balance. Recently my Experian was hit with a fraudulent collection which dropped my score from the 740s to 660. I called the collection agency and they admitted to the mistake and said the account would be removed within 30-45 days. To speed things up I went ahead and disputed. They hit both Transunion and Experian at the same time. The Experian Dispute is still open and TransUnion deleted the account from my report literally immediately after I hit submit. My big question is am I going to be in trouble with Amex over this score drop as I know they like to soft pull me on the 23rd of each month. I have only 3% utilization across all of my accounts and made a 400 payment on the only Amex card with a balance just in case. I’m praying that the account disappears by the time they pull my credit this month. Any advice or knowledge from previous experiences?

18 REPLIES 18
HighAchiever
Established Contributor

Re: Amex and FICO score

Sorry to hear of your troubles... 🤞🏻hopefully, someone will be along to give you some better insight into your situation. In the meantime, how did this situation even occur? Was it identity theft or fraud? 🤔
“Most people work just hard enough not to get fired and get paid just enough not to quit.”
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Inquiries: Experian - 4 | Equifax - 3 | TransUnion - 3

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey there. No identity theft just an old radiology account that was paid by insurance. Sent the paperwork to them and they said sorry we will delete. I’m really not sure how this happens.

Message 3 of 19
Namaste7
Established Contributor

Assuming you do not miss payments with AMEX (or any other lender), I doubt a medical collection would result in adverse action. I would avoid applying for new products or asking CLIs on existing products until the medical collection is removed and you see your FICO score update through your MF subscription and on AMEX's internal FICO score page.

~~MMXX~~
2024 Goal$
2023 Goal$
FICOs 760+
Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the reply. Definitely hoping that nothing happens the collection was only 300 bucks too not anything crazy. Just hoping it falls off before they ever see. If not, I hope they think the same way you do. Lol
Message 5 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Medical gets sent to collections all the time. Amex won’t bat an eye.
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys are definitely making me feel better about this. I was just told by a friend that the score drop of 70 points alone could make them raise an eyebrow and spook them. I pay them religiously every month most of the time very early so hoping for the best.
Message 7 of 19
Traveler101
Established Contributor

I dont have a amex yet, but I do have barclays. They can be tough as anyone can tell you. Anyways, I had a simular situation. I called barclays to warn them. They informed me, they are alerted to any significant score drops. Im sure amex would have a simular way to protect themselves. I would think you are just fine.
Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

yes I have heard Barclaycard is hard to please when it comes to scores and approvals. I’ve never had an issue with any lender so just hoping for the best. So are you saying it would be wise to contact them? Who did you talk to? Regular customer service or internal dept?
Message 9 of 19
Traveler101
Established Contributor

When I had my problem, I called credit sevices at barclays. Trust me, they already knew. I did not get credit limit decrease or shut down. I did get problem resolved. I was waiting for barc ro shut me down and on needles I must add. I would think if they really had an issue You would of been notified already. I would assume you are safe and i would suspect they would already have seen it if anything like barc.
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.