Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and Student loans

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Amex and Student loans

How do the major prime creditors(Amex, Citi, Chase,etc) feel about student loans?
I wonder because I'll be pushing $40k+ in student loan debt by the time I graduate next year. I make small payments even though none are due yet, but I wouldn't want to lose my primes just bc Ive decided to make an investment in myself.
The reality is I prob don't need to borrow money for school, but I genuinely feel like student loans are fairly easy to manage, and I like having a cushion. Unfortunately, I receive absolutely NO financial aid aside from loans, which I guess is okay. Wish my mom was paying my way or the gov't haha -.- . Mine are ALL Federal-no private! Although, I'm considering getting a Discover private student loan in the fall.
Anyway, do student loans cause AA in relation to credit card companies?!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex and Student loans

Your balance is about 14k high than mine, but from my personal experience, as long as you make your payments on time you should have no problems.  I PCd my Chase (originally WaMU) Platinum Visa to a Freedom, and recently was approved for Dicover IT.   Current balance for all loans down to 18K.

If you get a decent paying job when you graduate, and start paying the loans down you should be fine.

Message 2 of 50
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks! I already have a pretty decent paying job. I just wouldnt want to get aa for having student loans, but I suppose I wouldnt have gotten approved if student loans were an issue haha!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 3 of 50
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

You're welcome.  Look at it this way, the student loan count as installment loans, which help with credit mix.  As with all credit, one of the most important things is keeping them current.  As long as you keep the loans to a acceptable/managable level you should see any AA.  Unless the economy gets worse, and the banks start to freak out again.Smiley Wink

Message 4 of 50
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

I have well over $60k in student loans reporting on my reports. In December, when I received my Chase, Citi, and Amex cards the balances on those loans was over $50k.

I made sure that none of my loans were close to their credit limit (everything was under 90% of its original balance) and it didn't appear to be an issue.

ETA: Perfect payment history on those loans as well.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 5 of 50
KatherineLee
Valued Member

I had $37k in federal student loans, making interest only payments, and got AmEx BCE with a 15k credit limit, despite making only 25k a year. I also have a Discover More card, a US Bank Flexperks Cash, Chase Slate and a Citibank card.

So no, I don't think it will hurt you.

You have the cards already. Are you concerned they'll close them on you because of your student loan debt? I don't think that's likely if you're using the responsibly and not defaulting on the student loans.
Message 6 of 50
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
How do the major prime creditors(Amex, Citi, Chase,etc) feel about student loans?
I wonder because I'll be pushing $40k+ in student loan debt by the time I graduate next year. I make small payments even though none are due yet, but I wouldn't want to lose my primes just bc Ive decided to make an investment in myself.
The reality is I prob don't need to borrow money for school, but I genuinely feel like student loans are fairly easy to manage, and I like having a cushion. Unfortunately, I receive absolutely NO financial aid aside from loans, which I guess is okay. Wish my mom was paying my way or the gov't haha -.- . Mine are ALL Federal-no private! Although, I'm considering getting a Discover private student loan in the fall.
Anyway, do student loans cause AA in relation to credit card companies?!

With all honesty, I've never had an issue with my student loans on my report affecting anything, whether it be denial on a CC, CLI, or simply AA taken by closure or CLD due to increasing loan amounts.

I had the federal loans too, the Stafford that progresses from 5500 --> 6500 --> 7500 x2 (for junior and senior year) dispersements. The rest of my term bill is a decent portion of scholarships and the rest is the PLUS through my mother. So far, I have about $19000 in student loans reported (keeps reporting as one installment loan, they just add the dispersement amount to the original loan each semester), all still in deferrment. I see many posts on people trying to build/rebuild as students, and get denied a card due to their student loan, whether it is in repayment or deferrment. However, I've never had an issue with it or had it listed as a reason for lower terms for any of my cards.

The only denial I ever got was from Sallie Mae when my mother and I thought it would be a good idea to get a loan under my name, or if I couldn't do that due to young history, have my mother cosign with her so-so credit history and income to help boost my chances. My application and her cosigned application were both denied, but I don't recall my federal loans ever being a reason, simply short credit history. I'm sure if we didn't apply during that debt ceiling/budget crisis back in the summer of 2011, we would have been approved XD especially considering I had a hell of a better score than my mother did :X

As always, YMMV, I suppose!

Message 7 of 50
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I have 15k in student loans... doesn't seem to be a problem.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 8 of 50
android01
Valued Contributor

I'm sorry people, but student loans are the next "bubble" and I don't mean to burst yours. Please be careful about NOT considering what you owe in student loans and applying for credit cards for personal use.  I'd hate to see any of you young guys and girls get wrapped up in credit card debt above and beyond the insane amount you have in student loans, which will become due, before you know it. Smiley Sad

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 50
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

I personally think that people should only apply for what they need in student loans. When I went to school 10 years ago it was really my only option to pay for school; along with scholarships.

I'm happy to say that I'm in grad school part time and my husband is in undergrad full time and we are doing it without student loans. That being said; I didn't get a fluff degree and my husband isn't getting a fluff degree and I'm glad we can afford it.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 10 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.