Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and balance transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex and balance transfers

Just a quick question regarding the topic:  We are all aware that Amex has in the past capped transfers at $5000 when performing a BT to an Amex card. Seems that they weren't huge fans of the idea. Anybody know how they view a BT of a balance away from their cards to another lender, either for revolvers or charge cards? I'm going to take advantage of the 0% for 12 months offer on my FNBO Evergreen and am thinking of moving some Amex debt over. Since Amex can be quirky at times, is this a good idea? Do they see it as an issue with being able to pay, or are they indifferent to it and happy to get the account payoffs? Just want to see if I'm overthinking this or if it's something I should consider.

TIA for any insight.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex and balance transfers

@Anonymous wrote:

Just a quick question regarding the topic:  We are all aware that Amex has in the past capped transfers at $5000 when performing a BT to an Amex card. Seems that they weren't huge fans of the idea. Anybody know how they view a BT of a balance away from their cards to another lender, either for revolvers or charge cards? I'm going to take advantage of the 0% for 12 months offer on my FNBO Evergreen and am thinking of moving some Amex debt over. Since Amex can be quirky at times, is this a good idea? Do they see it as an issue with being able to pay, or are they indifferent to it and happy to get the account payoffs? Just want to see if I'm overthinking this or if it's something I should consider.

TIA for any insight.

A balance transfer away from Amex to another lender is, to Amex, merely a nice payment. No they would not take it amiss. Yes you are overthinking it.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 2 of 8
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Don't worry about it. Amex won't frown on it. As long as they get their money they'll be happy. Use that FNBO! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you both - BTs are now done Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I've done it 3 times with no issues. But yes, it can have adverse effects if done too many times, or at least in certain situations. The pop up when not eligible for a SUB lists BT transfers first. I assume it's in regards to people who earn a SUB then BT the balance away. Probably an anti-churn algorithm keeping track. Unfortunately, there's no datapoints where this info is tracked and found to be the cause for a SUB denial, but the fact that it's mentioned shows it's significant enough to be tracked.

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I've done it 3 times with no issues. But yes, it can have adverse effects if done too many times, or at least in certain situations. The pop up when not eligible for a SUB lists BT transfers first. I assume it's in regards to people who earn a SUB then BT the balance away. Probably an anti-churn algorithm keeping track. Unfortunately, there's no datapoints where this info is tracked and found to be the cause for a SUB denial, but the fact that it's mentioned shows it's significant enough to be tracked.

That rationale makes sense, and I appreciate you mentioning it. I moved balances from Hilton, Platinum, and BCP. The newest of those is Platinum which I got in November, and the other two are over two years old (Hilton is nearing three). I've never done a BT before, at all, not just with Amex. I'm also not looking for more cards from them so the pop-up is a nonfactor.

Sounds like a safe move then.

Message 6 of 8
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

That rationale makes sense, and I appreciate you mentioning it. I moved balances from Hilton, Platinum, and BCP. The newest of those is Platinum which I got in November, and the other two are over two years old (Hilton is nearing three). I've never done a BT before, at all, not just with Amex. I'm also not looking for more cards from them so the pop-up is a nonfactor.

Sounds like a safe move then.

I think it's a non-issue for people that use their cards regularly. I've yet to receive the pop up or any other correspondence regarding my BT activity.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Also good. All my Amex cards see use monthly. I'll likely close Surpass and Delta Gold though. I just don't fly enough to dilute the spend with a Delta card when I can use a charge card for MRs and transfer them, and since I have the no-AF Hilton as well, paying to have Surpass is no longer worth it since the Gold status with Hilton that it confers is also granted with my Platinum card. At some point I'm sure I'll replace those two with another revolver but not for awhile. A SUB would be great when I do, and I don't want to burn that bridge, but it doesn't sound like I will.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.