Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex and business use

tag
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

Amex and business use

I was reviewing adding another user to my personal Amex Plat. On their website they suggest adding these kinds of users amongst others:

1. Family members

2. Business partners and employees.

I've read from time to time that Amex doesn't like people to use their cards for business expenses. I suspect what they don't like is using personal Amex cards to finance the business (buy inventory and such)  but that uses for things such as T&E is fine.

Amex has a rather extensive set of options for managing cards with different access levels and such.

Guess I'll find out. I just added a biz partner and they are out of state at that.

Anyone else do this?

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Amex and business use

@cashnocredit wrote:

I was reviewing adding another user to my personal Amex Plat. On their website they suggest adding these kinds of users amongst others:

1. Family members

2. Business partners and employees.

I've read from time to time that Amex doesn't like people to use their cards for business expenses. I suspect what they don't like is using personal Amex cards to finance the business (buy inventory and such)  but that uses for things such as T&E is fine.

Amex has a rather extensive set of options for managing cards with different access levels and such.

Guess I'll find out. I just added a biz partner and they are out of state at that.

Anyone else do this?

I have read stuff like Amex not liking business stuff on personal from here but I have NEVER seen or heard friends, business contacts, etc. ever have this happen where amex cut off cards or i don't know what else they could do or have done to people but if it's getting paid, if it's within the system and your spending pattern... what ever, go for it!

Message 2 of 8
distantarray
Established Contributor

One of the companies I do work for has all their top employees use their Starwood personal Amex cards to run business expenses and reimburses them monthly as a bonus, they get to keep all the points. They run about 40k a month doing that to the top 50 people in the business Amex frowns upon it but they'll still allow it.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 3 of 8
chnceit
Valued Contributor

I think business expenses such as travel and inventory for your store is two different things.

I honestly dont think AMEX wants to see a personal card with wholesale on the transaction.

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Amex doesn't like people using business expense on the personal cards. That's why they have business cards for you to apply.

Ron.

Message 5 of 8
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

Amex doesn't like people using business expense on the personal cards. That's why they have business cards for you to apply.

Ron.

If Amex didn't want people using their Plats for business I doubt they would be suggesting "adding an employee or business partner."

They just don't want you using it to finance a business.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 6 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

If Amex didn't want people using their Plats for business I doubt they would be suggesting "adding an employee or business partner."

I have seen people get FR and their accounts closed by using business expense on their personal cards. 

Ron.

Message 7 of 8
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

Ron.

I have seen people get FR and their accounts closed by using business expense on their personal cards. 

Ron.

No doubt. Amex FR's whenever your spending profile, including AU usage, indicates risk. However, if merely following their suggestions produced frequent FRs it would be extremely counterproductive marketing and they are particularly known for being good at that.

I'm not expecting an FR but my usage is consistent with my stated income, and I have little doubt I would easily pass an FR. It would be kinda interesting though.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.