Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex app & FR question

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Amex app & FR question

From what I understand, if you app for 2 Amex on the same day, it's only one HP. And if you already have an acct., it's a SP for a second app unless you're approved, and then it's a HP.

So, if I app on two different days and am approved for both, I get 2 HP. But if I app for both CCs on the same day, then it's only 1 HP. Is that right?

I'm wondering if apping for more than 1 Amex on the same day increases chances of FR. It seems like it might raise some eyebrows or red flags with them, when they see someone opening/apping for multiple accts on the same day. I never would have even thought about it if I hadn't read about it here.

I'd like to test the waters with Zync and then go for Costco or BCE with only one inq. But don't want to do anything that would cause problems later. I know Amex can be pretty finicky. Smiley Surprised

Has anyone who apped and/or got 2 Amex on the same day been FR'd? Or had any other kind of AA?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex app & FR question

@bichonmom wrote:

From what I understand, if you app for 2 Amex on the same day, it's only one HP. And if you already have an acct., it's a SP for a second app unless you're approved, and then it's a HP.

So, if I app on two different days and am approved for both, I get 2 HP. But if I app for both CCs on the same day, then it's only 1 HP. Is that right?

I'm wondering if apping for more than 1 Amex on the same day increases chances of FR. It seems like it might raise some eyebrows or red flags with them, when they see someone opening/apping for multiple accts on the same day. I never would have even thought about it if I hadn't read about it here.

I'd like to test the waters with Zync and then go for Costco or BCE with only one inq. But don't want to do anything that would cause problems later. I know Amex can be pretty finicky. Smiley Surprised

Has anyone who apped and/or got 2 Amex on the same day been FR'd? Or had any other kind of AA?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

I have been with Amex since 2004 and applied for 2 cards the same day in January. First applied for Blue Sky and instantly approved for $9,100 Then a minute later applied for the Gold Delta Sky Miles and said my application is under review. Checked online for status and still said pending. Checked again the next day and still said pending. A couple days later checked again and this time said approved! Smiley Happy So far I have gotten both cards and have used the Blue Sky plus have gotten them to lower the APR on my Delta Sky without even using it once yet. Smiley Happy

Have you ever had an Amex card in the past?

Message 2 of 31
learnin113
Established Contributor

I say do both apps on the same day.  Do the Zync first so if you get approved, you will be emboldened to app again, maybe even lucky to only get one pull.  If u don't get approved for the Zync, you will know not to even put your finger close to BCE or Costco cuz it will not happen.  Good luck.  Smiley Very Happy

Message 3 of 31
pkhuu78
Contributor

Bichonmom, you will get two hp if you applied for Zync and Costco on the same day.  For the Costco card they would have to sent it to Costco for membership verify.  Once Costco send it back to Amex for confirmation that is the date that it would show as your application date.  Usually about a week after you intially applied.  You might want to op for Zync and BCE if you don't want a second pull.  I learned it the hard way....

......NPSL.........14.5 K............30 K..........20 K.........10 K...............8 K.............7.5 K..........
Message 4 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Well, my plan would be to app for Zync at home. And if approved, drive to Costco and app at the store. Others here posted that if you do that, there isn't a delay because Costco verifies your m'ship at the store.

My biggest concern is really that it would raise a red flag with them to see multiple apps on the same day.

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 31
pkhuu78
Contributor

NO red flag for me, go for it...but then I have happy fingers when it comes to applying for credit cards.  My EX fako at the time was 748, it has dropped 6points with 2inqs from Amex and 1 from Chase....

......NPSL.........14.5 K............30 K..........20 K.........10 K...............8 K.............7.5 K..........
Message 6 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@bichonmom wrote:

Well, my plan would be to app for Zync at home. And if approved, drive to Costco and app at the store. Others here posted that if you do that, there isn't a delay because Costco verifies your m'ship at the store.

My biggest concern is really that it would raise a red flag with them to see multiple apps on the same day.

Is the Costco better than BCE?

Message 7 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is the Costco better than BCE?

@I don't know... I really would like them both because I do a lot of shopping @ Costco and the rewards are different for each card. But I don't want to go completely overboard and try for all 3 at once.

I don't really want Zync at all. It won't help w/m util and will cost $25 a year, and from what I've read, the rewards aren't that great. It's more of a strategic decision so if I don't get approved for Costco (or BCE), then hopefully I would at least have a foot in the door w/Zync (tho, no guarantee of approval there, either!).

And my hope is that I'll be able to get backdating, but can't know that for sure either because I don't have records dating back to the 80s! Smiley Surprised All I have is a CC# from an EX CR, which I've read here doesn't correspond to any number in Amex's system. 

Message 8 of 31
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You won't get a FR for submitting two apps on the same day.    If you do this repeatedly for months at a time, closing and reopening cards, etc..., then you will get FR'd.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 31
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Does anyone know if they tend to match your highest CL?

Right now, my highest CL reporting is $2200 w/Barclays. But I just got a CLI with my CU to $2500. It won't show up on my CR until around the 20th of this month, after the stmt cuts. So, I was thinking that it might be better to wait to app w/Amex until after the CLI reports. That way, they'll see 3 CCs w/decent limits: $2k NFCU, $2.5K CU, $2.2K Barclays. Without the CLI, I have 3 low limit CCs: $500 CapONe, $750 CapOne, $500 CU.

Just thinking about what their perspective might be when they're looking at the reports. Also, I have read here that some CCCs are likely to match, but  not go over, your highest CL.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.