cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex asking for access to your bank accounts?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex asking for access to your bank accounts?

If this is something that has been going on for a good chunk of this past year, then I agree that it must be for people who are VERY borderline, as I think I was borderline when I was approved last month for HH and DG cards with an Experian pull of 627. I have a decently thick file with store and major cards, AoOA 12 years, AAoA 3 years 10 months, but my score had to be on the cusp, yet I got in with no request for bank access. Seems that if it’s for approval reasons, it may take a combo of more than one of thin file, low score, BK history, and numerous baddies.
Message 21 of 28
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

The sender of that pic posted on the comments section....

It was “her” friend who got that pop-up for writing-in $800K income on the Biz Gold app! Obviously Amex found it unbelievable hence, the pop-up!

See pic below...

5E604F45-F873-401C-9CE0-8509EF763C5B.png

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 22 of 28
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@JR_TX wrote:

The sender of that pic posted on the comments section....

It was “her” friend who got that pop-up for writing-in $800K income on the Biz Gold app! Obviously Amex found it unbelievable hence, the pop-up!

See pic below...

5E604F45-F873-401C-9CE0-8509EF763C5B.png

Scrolling...it's a beautiful thing 

Message 23 of 28
NRB525
Super Contributor

That’s awesome Smiley Happy
Lie about your situation then realize it may not work out well.

And people wonder why banks do identity confirmations and manual reviews.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 24 of 28
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This is not new.  As has been updated in the DOC notes to the article, other readers have commented that this has been going on for at least 6 months.  I highly doubt that this is widespread as Amex isn’t so stupid to think most applicants are going to give them permission to continually look at their bank accounts.  My guess is that this only occurs when they have questions about the applicants income level or some other aspect of their credit file that makes them question the application.  Let’s not all get in an uproar over this.  If it were happening on a regular basis we would have had one of the many Amex new card holders on this forum state that this request appeared on their application.  Another reason not to jump on every bit of info that DoC or any other blogger puts on their website.  Sometimes in their zeal to be first, they jump the gun and before you can go ‘poof’, half the internet is convinced the credit world is coming to an end.  I very much like the work that DoC does but that doesn’t mean that everything he prints is 100% correct.

+1.  Nailed it!  My thoughts are similar to that of your own @Anonymous.  If this was such a big deal, and with uptick in apps for the revamped Amex Gold, there would have certainly been chatter on this here forum.  Until today this was the first time I've read of such here...and for that reason alone I understand this to be an extremely isolated request; a non-issue for the vast majority.

Message 25 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had something fairly similar happen to me when I opened a High Yield Savings Account through American Express National Bank which is a different subsidiary from their credit cards.  I recounted the incident in this post so its definitely not new.

Message 26 of 28
RonM21
Valued Contributor

@red259 wrote:

I haven't had this happen to me and there is no way I am going to ever give Amex ongoing access to the contents of my bank accounts. Anyone had this happen to them during an app? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-requesting-bank-account-access-during-credit-card-ap...

hmm, let me think about this for a split sec....okay, long enough....how about NEVER! Smiley Mad

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 27 of 28
AI_JMV
Regular Contributor

I would actually be totally ok with this, and think it would really help me.  I have 200k+ in my bank accounts.  Maybe they would say "screw the score" for a freaking change lol. 

@RonM21 wrote:

@red259 wrote:

I haven't had this happen to me and there is no way I am going to ever give Amex ongoing access to the contents of my bank accounts. Anyone had this happen to them during an app? https://www.doctorofcredit.com/american-express-requesting-bank-account-access-during-credit-card-ap...

hmm, let me think about this for a split sec....okay, long enough....how about NEVER! Smiley Mad

Sept 2022 EQ-825 TU-840 EX-830
UTIL: 1%
Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.