Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex asking holders to pay balances...

tag
RickNATL
Established Contributor

Amex asking holders to pay balances...

I've been reading threads that have mentioned Amex asking holders via emails to pay their balances, sometimes even in advance of due dates.

Keep in mind, most have been surprised by it and consider themselves great customers, long tenure, and PIF practices.

It  seems odd, and I'm not sure if this is true or even a past practice (i.e. 2007/2008 economic collapse) to protect against losses, etc.

This hasn't happened to me, but curious since quite a few have mentioned it (on personal and business cards)..

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it...?

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
RickNATL
Established Contributor

Re: Amex asking holders to pay balances...

Some theories mentioned:

They want payment because there is talk in Congress in making CC interest rate a temp ZERO% and no late fees...

Fraudulent email/phone calls...

Happens with an unusual spend pattern, i put around 20k across all amex accounts last month, got emails and calls...

Message 2 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

I have a PoT promotion on my Platinum, carrying a $2k tax payment from Dec, plus other regular charges. 
On Hilton, a Plan It charge of $1,500 or so. 
Some charge activity on Gold, and Green, several hundred a month. 

No indications to me AMEX has any problems with these amounts ( and no calls / emails regarding Please Pay in the past either ). I have some good history of occasional charges of multiple thousands on my AMEX cards, so these levels are not excessive for me. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 3 of 34
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Change your alert settings for the card in question.

Message 4 of 34
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This is first post ive read on Amex asking people to pay their balances now.  I assume if you owe its a valid point but so far dont see Amex trying to recoup their money stat😏

Message 5 of 34
seattletravels
Valued Contributor

@RickNATL wrote:

I've been reading threads that have mentioned Amex asking holders via emails to pay their balances, sometimes even in advance of due dates.

Keep in mind, most have been surprised by it and consider themselves great customers, long tenure, and PIF practices.

It  seems odd, and I'm not sure if this is true or even a past practice (i.e. 2007/2008 economic collapse) to protect against losses, etc.

This hasn't happened to me, but curious since quite a few have mentioned it (on personal and business cards)..

Has anyone heard of this or experienced it...?

The only time I've heard this is in reference to their charge cards and has generally been with newer customers who havent established history/patterns.

Last App: BECU 02-26-2020
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Message 6 of 34
iced
Valued Contributor

Also have not heard of this.

I also know that when someone feels the need to preclude a complaint about being asked to pay early by declaring themself a great customer with a long relationship and PIF track record, something in their story is being embellished to support their narrative. If American Express did ask someone to pay, there's a risk-related reason for them doing it which contradicts those declarations. To unilaterally ask all customers to pay early would be a PR disaster, which they aren't dumb enough to do unless they're between a rock and a hard place (which they aren't).

Message 7 of 34
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I've not heard of this outside of newer customers with NPSL charge cards, and that's not demanding payment early but asking them to make payments in order for them to be approved for additional charges as they have reached their internal limit.

Edit:  To answer another question in the original post, during the economic collapse of '07/'08 I was never asked to make early payments on my charge cards, even while running Pay Over Time balances up to astronomical levels.

Message 8 of 34
imaximous
Valued Contributor

We haven't had this issue come up as long as we stay below the credit limits on revolvers. The times I've got emails from Amex about making a payment is when we've exceeded the limit. They'll just say to make a payment for the amount above the limit to avoid future charging issues. But, when I check the spending power, we can still charge close to double the limit so we keep using the cards. They seem to be automated messages in this case.

Message 9 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't been contacted to pay any balances. Though I would like very much to see that temp 0% go into affect. Unfortunately if that happend, I think the issuers might deny any charges during said time frame?

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.