Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating and AUs?

tag
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

Amex backdating and AUs?

I'm just curious, how does Amex backdating work with AUs? If you're an AU and then later open an Amex of your own, what date will be listed?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex backdating and AUs?

No direct experience, but from reading other posts on here, I'm pretty sure you get the benefit of the year the account that you are listed as an AU on was opened.  But you get the month that you applied for your own account.  So if someone added you to an account that was opened in 1998, and you were approved for your own account in March of this year, your account would list as opened in March of 1998.   

Did they officially renounce FRs or are you going to have to edit your signature?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 15
MAstudent07
Contributor

I just read about a poster who was an authorized user on her husband's AMEX cards in 2005. She since applied for a card and was backdated to 2005, therefore, she had success with the backdating. Others will inform you about their personal experience, and help you determine a conclusion.

Amex BCE| BOA CB| Freedom| Citi DC| Discover It|
Message 3 of 15
KingAdrock
Established Contributor

I do know about the month, hence January is the time to app for a new Amex if you have an old one. I was just wondering if the year backdates to when you were listed as an AU or when the account you're listed upon was opened. 

ASAIK, Amex still does financial reviews. As far as them coming out and officially renouncing the practice, I honestly doubt that will ever happen. If they stop, they'll likely do it quietly and act like it never happened at all.

Message 4 of 15
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Based on other threads, you get the year the AU account was opened, not the year you were added as an AU.  I'm fairly certain I've read threads here talking about people being listed as AUs on their parents' accounts and then applying for their own Amex and having a date opened that was when they were very young or before they were born.

ETA: Here is what I was thinking of, although I think I read additional threads as well: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Question-on-Amex-backdating/td-p/800600/highlight/true/...

Someone says there that their Amex backdated to the day their father's account was opened, so their account shows it was opened when they were 4 years old.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 15
halos24
Frequent Contributor

It's me with the experience.  I was an AU on two of my husbands Amex cards from 2005, that both went to collections but PIF.  I opened a Zync in December, and this month approved for the Costco one and both are showing member since 2005!

MyFico 3B Scores: EQ: 3/22/16 (727), EX (710) TU (714)

Message 6 of 15
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

Don't mean to hijack, but I am curious, is there any amount of time you have to be an AU on Amex before you can apply on your own and get the backdating?

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 7 of 15
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@700orbust wrote:

Don't mean to hijack, but I am curious, is there any amount of time you have to be an AU on Amex before you can apply on your own and get the backdating?

No

Message 8 of 15
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

great. My plan is to hop on an Amex and apply for my own shortly after, within weeks...should i use the AU card, or will that even matter?

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 9 of 15
MrShush
Valued Contributor

I added my DW to my AMEX in December. She just pulled her reports and the AMEX was on TU reporting back to 06/1996 but wasn't yet on EQ.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.