Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating for authorized user

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex backdating for authorized user

I'm a new amex cardmember and I was wondering, I've read a bit about amex's backdating policy. I was an authorized user on my uncle's amex blue card I beleive around 2000-2002. Is there a way to eet amex to backdate me to 2000? My new cards currently read 2012.

Thanks

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Re: Amex backdating for authorized user

You may be able to do this, and it's certainly worth trying in your case.  Do you happen to have your old card number/old statement with this info - might make it easier.  I would certainly give them a call and see if they can locate your account.  However, they have become much more strict with AU backdating lately, and I've seen a couple of references that they won't do this unless the account it still open/active.

Give it a shot and let us know the outcome.  Good luck! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 2 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Called, nothing on file. The account was closed in 2002 probably. I don't think I ever received statements to my address in my name back when I had it. I'll see if I can't track down the account number somehow.

Message 3 of 15
TNTransplant
Established Contributor

Be persistent, too.  Sometimes you may get a lazy rep who is not willing to actually dig for it.  Keep trying.

Starting Score: Jan 2012: EQ - 659, TU08 - 670, EX - ???
Current Score:April 2014: EQ - 772, TU08 - 782, EX - 754
Last App:3/21/14

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmmm, she took about 2-3 mins to check. I'll give it another shot tomorrow, I don't see how I would be able to find the card number any other way. Would be nice to be backdated 12yrs!

Message 5 of 15
RyVision
Valued Contributor

As much as I hate to say it...   AMEX has made backdating of Additional Card Members (of any date) nearly impossible.   Nearly all the reps at all levels have been instructed to deny such a request and only grant an Original Member Since date to those that had an individual account they were the Primary owner of. 

It's why I no longer recommend anyone become an ADM (Additional Card Member) under someone else anymore.  Only reason would be to get a foot in the door with them, as the date of that addition will not transfer to your own individual account.  Best bet is to get your own AMEX early as possible or if you had one, find your old info for that Member Since date (that was your own) and go through several reps if need be to have it re-instated.

I wish you the best of all possible luck,  but I'm 99% sure you may not get anywhere with the request  Smiley Sad

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 15
distantarray
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

As much as I hate to say it...   AMEX has made backdating of Additional Card Members (of any date) nearly impossible.   Nearly all the reps at all levels have been instructed to deny such a request and only grant an Original Member Since date to those that had an individual account they were the Primary owner of. 

It's why I no longer recommend anyone become an ADM (Additional Card Member) under someone else anymore.  Only reason would be to get a foot in the door with them, as the date of that addition will not transfer to your own individual account.  Best bet is to get your own AMEX early as possible or if you had one, find your old info for that Member Since date (that was your own) and go through several reps if need be to have it re-instated.

I wish you the best of all possible luck,  but I'm 99% sure you may not get anywhere with the request  Smiley Sad

people were abusing the system with backdating to dates before they were even born, but people can still backdate the account to the time when they first had a card in theirname, acm or not. We'll see I'm working on my brother's credit now, and I added him as a ACM on my BCP his stuff should be clean next year (have to backdate student loan deference) then we'll have him apply for a Amex and see if we can get it backdated to Jan 2012 so stay tuned!

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 7 of 15
TheConductor
Established Contributor

@RyVision wrote:

Best bet is to get your own AMEX early as possible 

This, above all.

It certainly can't hurt to try for the backdating, but they are very resistant to backdating by AU dates these days.

The good news is, you now have an AmEx in your own name and will forever after be able to backdate to that. You may not get the short-term benefits of backdating, but you'll get them in the long term!

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@TheConductor wrote:

@RyVision wrote:

Best bet is to get your own AMEX early as possible 

This, above all.

It certainly can't hurt to try for the backdating, but they are very resistant to backdating by AU dates these days.

The good news is, you now have an AmEx in your own name and will forever after be able to backdate to that. You may not get the short-term benefits of backdating, but you'll get them in the long term!

Yes, I am very pleased with Amex. They requested a financial review before I was approved. Haven't had a card in 8/9 yrs. They gave me 8,000Cl on my Blue card and a PRG and Green card. 

My foot is in the door. I was approved for a 500cl capital one as well. Chase would not reconsider my application for the freedom card. So I'm good for now. Using my amex's in place of my debit card and the captial one where amex is not accepted. Look forward to building my credit up. Backdating would be a plus but I won't push it. Maybe call one more time and just mention I am trying to track down an old account number.

Message 9 of 15
Crashem
Valued Contributor

One piece of advice whether you are an ACM or primary card holder is to create an online account for that card ASAP.  It is one more piece of info that locks in your member date.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.