Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex backdating

tag
jnc
Contributor

Amex backdating

We are planning to apply for an Amex card at some point but I was wondering about the backdating.

Would a card held through a company you work for count for your own Amex history? My husband had an Amex business card with a job he got in 2005. They closed this account when he lost his job in 2009.  Will the original date on that card count for backdating or only if it was his own personal card?

Thanks,

C

J & C
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex backdating

@jnc wrote:

Would a card held through a company you work for count for your own Amex history? My husband had an Amex business card with a job he got in 2005. They closed this account when he lost his job in 2009.  Will the original date on that card count for backdating or only if it was his own personal card?

Nope.  Business and personal are separate.

Message 2 of 9
jnc
Contributor

Thanks.

Any clue about the following...

How about if someone is an authorized user on an old account?

I had an Amex in 2007. I believe he was an AU on that account. If so, would it backdate for him if he applied for a new Amex himself?

Or, if I'm remembering incorrectly and he wasn't an AU.. and I get a new Amex and add him.. will he backdate along with me or not because he wasn't on the old account?

TIA!

J & C
Message 3 of 9
Open123
Super Contributor

@jnc wrote:

I had an Amex in 2007. I believe he was an AU on that account. If so, would it backdate for him if he applied for a new Amex himself?

Yes, his membership since date should reflect 2007, assuming AmEx still has the records in their system.

Message 4 of 9
Irisa
Senior Contributor

@jnc wrote:

Thanks.

Any clue about the following...

How about if someone is an authorized user on an old account?

Or, if I'm remembering incorrectly and he wasn't an AU.. and I get a new Amex and add him.. will he backdate along with me or not because he wasn't on the old account?

TIA!

I believe an old AU account would have set his MSD. If he gets his own Amex now, it would backdate to when he was added as an AU.

However, if he was not an AU before and you add him now, it will not backdate.

Message 5 of 9
user5387
Valued Contributor

@jnc wrote:

We are planning to apply for an Amex card at some point but I was wondering about the backdating.

Thanks,

C

I had a small business (PG) Green a long time ago, and backdated a personal card from it about four years ago.  I don't know if the rules have changed since then.

Message 6 of 9
jnc
Contributor

Thanks all Smiley Happy

J & C
Message 7 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Once you lock in your MSD (Member Since Date) the year of subsequent cc's will reflect your MSD.  Additional cc's*, will reflect the month of THAT card and the year of your MSD.  

If you are a primary cardholder, your CR's will be backdated as well.  Amex recently changed their policy to exclude the CR backdating for ACMs - when you become a primary, your CR's would be backdated for YOUR new cc. 

*personal cards - business cards it's a YMMV 

Message 8 of 9
jnc
Contributor

In the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter too much. Would be nice to get those extra years but I guess we'll get what we get!

I'm working on getting our debt paid down before I even attempt to apply so it will be a while. Just keeping my mind busy with the 'what ifs' in the meanwhile Smiley Happy

Thanks again Smiley Happy

J & C
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.