Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex blatantly lied to me?

tag
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

Amex blatantly lied to me?

I called about a denial to see if they would do anything about my hard inquiry and was told outright several times by the rep that if you're denied there is no hard inquiry. I then asked to be transfered to an American rep and so she transfered me to another woman that spoke better english but was clearly indian who was in the recon department. This women in the recon department reiterated what the ground level rep said and when I told her that was a lie she "looked into it" and realized their mistake. Why would a rep outright lie like that? Do they not study the American credit system before hiring these reps? They are going to review my BCE app so hopefully I get in but I am not hopeful.

Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Re: Amex blatantly lied to me?

If you are an existing card member there will be no hard inq when they deny your application. If you are a new customer to Amex there might be a hard inq. I am not sure how it works if you are new to amex.

Message 2 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

For a new member I don't see how they could deny you without a hard pull.

Message 3 of 36
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Have you checked your credit report to see if there is a hard inq? If you apply for a card approved or not they can pull hard inq. What is your problem? Why are you upset if they do pull hard inq?

Message 4 of 36
flyingmd
Frequent Contributor

How can there not be a pull? If you applied (new or existing member) they are gonna pull your cedit report. So whether you are approved or denied the CR was already pulled. Just curious why you would even think it was otherwise and ask that question? Did you ask them to retract the CR pull? Edited to remove an unnecessary comment.

Message 5 of 36
Guava
Established Contributor

I understand you're upset, you feel you were lied to, but you gotta be a little realistic. Applying for credit card (approved or not) without a hard pull is unheard of, for me at least.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ Concorduser..

What do you mean, if you're an existing cardmember there wil be no hard inq when an application is denied?  Don't they have to pull the inq before they even decide to approve or deny you?  I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 36
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@Red1Blue wrote:

Have you checked your credit report to see if there is a hard inq? If you apply for a card approved or not they can pull hard inq. What is your problem? Why are you upset if they do pull hard inq?

I am not upset if there's a hard inquiry (I honestly called hoping to get my Zync reconsidered figuring it was too late on the BCE). I am realistic and I know how the credit system works. I am upset that they cannot answer a simple question without getting it wrong. I understand that credit systems are different in India than in America but they should still know what they're talking about.. I was not disputing the hard inquiry but the woman on the phone kept insisting (almost to the point of arguing) that Amex did not do a hard pull, when they clearly did, and that when you get declined there is no hard pull which we all know there is.

Message 8 of 36
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

I app'd for the BCP when it first came out with out a hard pull on any of the CRA's a few months ago.  Received the cardmember risk message and a few other standard response reasons.

They used a soft pull from 6/13/11 on the denial.

I think if you are an existing cardmember the system checks for approvals internally and if it doesn't pass muster then it stops, if it passes the internal process it goes out and pulls your CR.  Just my thoughts so YMMV.

Message 9 of 36
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ Concorduser..

What do you mean, if you're an existing cardmember there wil be no hard inq when an application is denied?  Don't they have to pull the inq before they even decide to approve or deny you?  I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

If you are an existing member they will do a soft inq. If the application is denied then there is no hard inq. If the Application is approved they will list a hard inq. I applied for so many cards so many times and they denied and no hard inq.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.