Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex bonus miles and CL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex bonus miles and CL

I was recently approved for Delta Amex gold with a 1,000 cl (low I know) but it said if I spend 3000 in 3 mos I qualify for 60,000 bonus miles which I think is really good. My problem is that If i spend 1000 and pay the bill before cycle and then spend again so I can get to the 3000 in 3 months will it negatively affect my credit in the long run because I’m going over my 30% utilization. I’ve heard of Amex decreasing CL because of high utilization and I’ve worked really hard to get my credit on track I just don’t want to mess it up trying to get these miles.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex bonus miles and CL

As long as you pay off before the statement cycles, your reported utilization will remain low.  AMEX is a premium card allowing you to go to the limit and sometimes beyond mid cycle.  Again, it's the balance at the end of the statement cycle that you want to keep an eye on. 

Keep in mind that your first 30 days may require you to contact customer service to make more than one payment.

Edit: grammar

Message 2 of 3
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex bonus miles and CL

+1  Also, Amex rarely reports cards to the credit bureaus until the 2nd statement.  Certainly don't miss out on the SkyMiles welcome offer, though.  60k SMs are worth a bare minimum of $720!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.