Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex canceling Zync Packs.

tag
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

Amex canceling Zync Packs.

Just got a letter in the mail today from amex that if you are enrolled in any Zync pack they will be canceling them by April 8. And also if you call and cancel them yourself by a certain date, they will refund what you paid for them.  So now its only 1 membership express point per dollar. I really want to cancel this card, but then again I don't because it is rare now. It also said if you want to cancel your card for this reason, they will refund your annual fee on the card.

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 1 of 74
73 REPLIES 73
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

Re: Amex canceling Zync Packs.

That stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  I wonder if they are replacing it with something else.

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 2 of 74
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

That stinks.  Sorry to hear that.  I wonder if they are replacing it with something else.

I don't think they will since the card is discontinued. 

Amex BCE $10,000 | BofA Power Rewards WMC $10,000 | Discover It $10,000 | ICBC Preferred Gold UnionPay $8,000 | Local CU Visa $3,500
Message 3 of 74
LionLaw
Frequent Contributor

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Since I added the PRG, the Zync is only good for 2 things: 1. The Restaurant and Connect packs, and 2. looking cool. I get a ton of use out of the Restaurant pack. If that's going away, I'm going to have to think twice about keeping the Zync--which is sad, because it really is cool looking!
Message 4 of 74
ilovelisa
Established Contributor

@LionLaw wrote:
NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Since I added the PRG, the Zync is only good for 2 things: 1. The Restaurant and Connect packs, and 2. looking cool. I get a ton of use out of the Restaurant pack. If that's going away, I'm going to have to think twice about keeping the Zync--which is sad, because it really is cool looking!

I think if they're going to do this, they should waive the annual fee for all Zync cardholders.

Message 5 of 74
ibmrad7
Established Contributor

This sucks!!!!!

I got a platinum but I was using exclusively for the restuarant pack. I guess I'll still keep the card and use it on Small Business Saturdays to keep AF to zero.

Message 6 of 74
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ilovelisa wrote:

Just got a letter in the mail today from amex that if you are enrolled in any Zync pack they will be canceling them by April 8. And also if you call and cancel them yourself by a certain date, they will refund what you paid for them.  So now its only 1 membership express point per dollar. I really want to cancel this card, but then again I don't because it is rare now. It also said if you want to cancel your card for this reason, they will refund your annual fee on the card.

I don't get this fascination with Zync.  It's not the first credit product to be discontinued.  I've never seen people saying they really want to keep their Continental President's Club card just because there will no longer be any more issued.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 74
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

I don't get this fascination with Zync.  It's not the first credit product to be discontinued.  I've never seen people saying they really want to keep their Continental President's Club card just because there will no longer be any more issued.

It is a weird looking Amex that almost nobody outside credit forums has ever heard of. I've had more comments about it from servers/bartenders/merchants than I can count. So it is kind of fun for those of us who will never see a centurion or palladium or other similar card to get a bit of VIP reaction with a card that is, in fact, the bottom tier card in the Amex line. Most servers have no idea what a Continental President's Club card is and I've had a grand total of one comment about my CSP, but a white Amex is "ballin'", as the kids today say (or something like that).

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 8 of 74
Alcibiades
Contributor

Big thumbs down to this.

Zync Packs were one of the best ways to earn Membership Rewards points when connected with a Green, Gold, or Platinum. I will miss the dining and connect double points dearly.

If true, this means the only way to earn more than one MR point on Amex spend is through the PRG card.

I may have to move more spending to other cards (Chase British Airways and Saphire look good now).

My card is up for renewal in May, so I may as well just cancel the card before the fee renews. Time to look into better Amex spending options (maybe PRG, Delta, Hilton, etc)

Message 9 of 74
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Just got letter also. I too will miss connect and restaurant packs. Ill keep card for looks and AAoA boost. May use it occasionally but they just gutted this card.

Kind of wishing I would had jumped at 100k offer.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 74
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.