cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cancelled most of my cards (Gold, Green, Cash Magnet) after new AU had payment returned

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Amex cancelled most of my cards (Gold, Green, Cash Magnet) after new AU had payment returned

@siliconvalleychurner wrote:

Hi @FinStar, thanks for the prompt reply!

AU just moved to the US and his bank account is very new (opened a couple of weeks ago). He just gave them a call and they have no records of the 5 payments being returned / bounced. I was with him when he linked his bank account to Amex – I personally checked the acocunt # and it was correct (and had sufficient funds). 

No, they didn't close the Hilton or Delta Blue cards (they're my two oldest Amex cards, and the ones with the lowest CL -- 6K each). Cash Magnet has $0 balance and $18K CL, and then NPSL on Green and Gold. 

Thanks for providing some additional background on this @siliconvalleychurner 

I realize this must've been a very upsetting situation. So, when these payments were made, were they submitted directly from the AmEx website, correct?  I'm assuming that no 'test' payments were made beforehand to ensure that any payments transactions would go through smoothly especially on a fairly new deposit account?  I would definitely double-check the routing number and/or account number just to ensure there were no transposed digits.

Glad to hear that not everything was closed, albeit the others had a different fate.

Given what you've just recently shared, perhaps it may be worth escalating?  Though, I'm not sure how receptive AmEx would be in this particular situation.  You would definitely need to obtain some type of written notice from your AU's bank that confirms that no returned payments occurred and perhaps start there (if you wish to pursue the effort for reinstating the other accounts).

Message 11 of 39

Re: Amex cancelled most of my cards (Gold, Green, Cash Magnet) after new AU had payment returned

Thanks for the reply @FinStar.

Yes, they were submitted directly from the Amex app, using the Pay It button next to a transaction. And correct, no test payments were made. Unfortunately Amex has cancelled the AU's login, so I am no longer able to check the account # on the AU's account. 

When I called yesterday, I spoke with at least 7 different CSRs – they all refused to escalate the issue saying that there was nothing that could be done and that the accounts were ineligible for reinstatement. After a few calls, one of the CSRs mentioned the Apollo program, which I immediately offered to join (only for the Gold card though, the other cards are closed permanently). Any thoughts on other potential avenues to explore to get these cards reinstated?

Message 12 of 39
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for the reply @FinStar.

Yes, they were submitted directly from the Amex app, using the Pay It button next to a transaction. And correct, no test payments were made. Unfortunately Amex has cancelled the AU's login, so I am no longer able to check the account # on the AU's account. 

When I called yesterday, I spoke with at least 7 different CSRs – they all refused to escalate the issue saying that there was nothing that could be done and that the accounts were ineligible for reinstatement. After a few calls, one of the CSRs mentioned the Apollo program, which I immediately offered to join (only for the Gold card though, the other cards are closed permanently). Any thoughts on other potential avenues to explore to get these cards reinstated?

Well bummer, I suppose with the AU account profile being canceled that pretty much leaves that option out.

There's always an option for escalation, but it largely depends on the situation of course. Please review your PM/DMs📩

Message 13 of 39
SPChaser
Established Contributor

That is tough situation to be in and I'm sincerely empathic with what your feeling right now  - most definitely sucks. I hope there's a means of reinstating all your cards, especially after having such a stealer record with him. 

“Play the game, but don't believe in it“
Message 14 of 39
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just curious; what is your relationship to the AU?

Based on my experience in lending there's likely more than has been disclosed.  Amex is renowned in the industry for having the most detailed databases on their customers; I think most of us would be surprised at how much they know about their card members.

Message 15 of 39
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Hi @FinStar, thanks for the prompt reply!

AU just moved to the US and his bank account is very new (opened a couple of weeks ago). He just gave them a call and they have no records of the 5 payments being returned / bounced. I was with him when he linked his bank account to Amex – I personally checked the acocunt # and it was correct (and had sufficient funds). 

Does the bank have a record of the payments going out though?   If not, that would be more evidence that something was wrong with the routing number/account number.

Message 16 of 39
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

No, they didn't close the Hilton or Delta Blue cards (they're my two oldest Amex cards, and the ones with the lowest CL -- 6K each). Cash Magnet has $0 balance and $18K CL, and then NPSL on Green and Gold. 

It is always good to make payment of $1 or so on the account and make sure it reaches the card and also clears the bank. I also setup a Bill pay on my Bank Account and push a payment to the Card. In case if we need to push a payment this can be useful method. I always do this setup for new accounts and test it and make sure it clears my bank and also it posts on the Credit Card account. We can never be too cautious.  In the end hope it all works out well for you and your AU

Message 17 of 39
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Sorry this happened. I hope it ends ok. There are some details I'm curious about (like why five payments instead of one), but they don't really affect any outcomes.

I had a returned payment because I foolishly assumed that a savings account would work for ACH and it did not. The payment I was trying to make was a small, early payment. My bill was not due. When I was notified that the payment failed, I paid it using my tried and true method. So, my payment was early, and I still got dinged for a returned payment. I am not sure why this matters to Amex as long as they are paid on time, but maybe it's decades-old concern about receiving one payment check and the check bounces, and there's a long wait to get another payment. The way things are now with online payments, it really seems like a non-factor if the bill is paid on time, but I suppose that is not how they view it.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 18 of 39
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Just curious; what is your relationship to the AU?

Based on my experience in lending there's likely more than has been disclosed.  Amex is renowned in the industry for having the most detailed databases on their customers; I think most of us would be surprised at how much they know about their card members.

Let's not do this.  The OP has provided the information that he or she feels like they want to provide.  They don't need to give any more than what they feel comfortable with just to satisfy the thirst for anything additional.  They know what they know or are willing to share.  If there's "more than has been disclosed" well that's okay and they're not obligated to share any of it with us.  

Message 19 of 39
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

This definitely sucks OP.  Like you I have authorized users on my cards...several actually,  on a spread of different cards.  One thing I've always refused to do is to allow any of them (and they're all trustworthy family members and a few friends) is to make payments directly to my lenders.

I allow them to push from their bank accounts if they want or Zelle me but that's the only way.  Even then I still have minimum payment set to hit my account in the rare instance they don't push from their account before the due date.  My aunt and uncle are old school and still scribble out a check and that's okay.  But direct payments are something I just don't allow from AUs for fear of something like this. 

I appreciate you sharing your experience and it definitely sucks to have to be dealing with this.  I hope you're able to keep at least one card with Amex as hopefully time will heals some of these wounds down the road and you'll be able to pick up the cards that are being left behind now.

Message 20 of 39
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.