Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex cancelled my account

tag
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Amex cancelled my account

I know this is happening to everyone but I would love to petition to American Express the fact that they cancelled my account.

Amex was the first credit card I ever got. I am currently 22 years old and I obtained this card the day I turned 18 to use for college and so forth for books and supplies and anything else I needed. For the past 4 years I have been completely current with them making sure I never missed a payment nor went over my credit limit. I have a perfect credit history with them and all of the other revolving/charge accounts I currently have. My score is not perfect but it is also not horrible. I have a 680-690 credit score

With them closing my account I have become pretty depressed because for the past 6-7 months I have been continuously saving money to start paying off credit card debt. Two weeks before I got the cancellation letter from Amex I paid the card completely off to a $0 balance. Along with 2 other cards of mine. Immediately the two other cards reported to the agency at the beginning of the month and my score jumped over 30 points along with a lot of inquiries that had recently expired from my credit file

I am asking for anyone' s help so I can put together some kind of portfolio/ booklet to proove there reasons for cancellations are wrong. I am going to definitely petition this because I have been working hard to improve my credit score and I do not want my oldest credit card with 4 years of history going down the drain because I'm sure that wont improve my score! I would love emails and or telephone numbers of people that work from Amex that have pull so i can completely bombard their voicemails and emails with my frustrations.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex cancelled my account

Wecome to the forums. I am sorry for your difficulties.

You don't want to "bombard". Call in to customer service and ask what the problem is. Then come back here with your answer.

Message 2 of 22
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Im sorry I forgot to include that in my post. I called Amex immediatly after recieving that cancelation letter. I sympatheticaly expressed how i felt and how loyal i have been and they told me they can do a review. After about 5 minutes they told me that they cant help me any furture because they cant reverse it. They told me to apply for a new card. Then I asked to speak to a supervisor repediatly and they kept telling me there are none available and hung up.
Message Edited by amp0804 on 08-21-2009 09:43 PM
Message 3 of 22
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I would call at a different time of the day and/or use one of the backdoor numbers.
Message 4 of 22
amp0804
Regular Contributor

Whats a backdoor number?
Message 5 of 22
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

If you go to the top of this forum in the sticky section you will find a "Backdoor Number" thread. Look throught that thread for a number.
Message 6 of 22
amp0804
Regular Contributor

thank you for your help i appreciate it
Message 7 of 22
cobaltnv
Established Contributor

Sorry this happened to you. One positive is that AMEX one of the only (maybe the only) ccc that will backdate your member since date to your original card. THis means that even if you end up applying for a new amex card it will be dated with your old cards date. Meaning the "new" card will not hurt your AAoA only add an inquiry. 
TU 810: EQ 813: EX 814 (9/16/09--Loan officer pull)

Helpful Threads
Frequently Requested Threads
Understanding your Fico Score
Message 8 of 22
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@amp0804 wrote:

With them closing my account I have become pretty depressed because for the past 6-7 months I have been continuously saving money to start paying off credit card debt. Two weeks before I got the cancellation letter from Amex I paid the card completely off to a $0 balance. Along with 2 other cards of mine. Immediately the two other cards reported to the agency at the beginning of the month and my score jumped over 30 points along with a lot of inquiries that had recently expired from my credit file

Sounds like AMEX didn't like what they saw with your other cards and this was factored in to their decision.  If they are paid off and you are now current I'd let everything settle down for a bit before reapplying.  Are you now out of school?  Do you have permanent job and steady income? 

Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I ask what are yours payment history, relationship history with AMEX in the past 3 years? Did you maxout your account? Any baddies with them or your Experian Credit Report? They got to be a reason! Sometime AMEX cancel your account due to your spending habits and the place where you shop etc? 

It's sound ridiculous but I have heard about it..

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.