Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex changes the SUB for the SPG cards.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex changes the SUB for the SPG cards.

Unfortunately American Express has removed any points sign up bonus for both the personal and business version of their SPG cards.  Now the personal comes only with a $200 statement credit ($100 after spending $1000 in first 3 months and the potential for another $100 if you use the card at a Starwood or Marriott hotel within 6 months). The business version only comes with the $100 credit after meeting the $1K spend requirement.  Hope those that were considering getting one or both of these cards did so when the SUB was points.  Another side effect of the merger.  This one certainly will result in fewer people applying for these cards. 

Message 1 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Re: Amex changes the SUB for the SPG cards.

Not that I was planning on apping for the card anyway, but this change definitely makes it less desirable.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 2 of 46
chaos51
Regular Contributor

I was just about to post about this. I'm guessing it's to direct traffic in the right direction. They obviously want people to go with the new cards, but I'm sure some people will still apply, even if it's to get the free night if they're over 5/24.

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 3 of 46
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Yes certainly a crudey SUB for a HOTEL card..  I held off on applying for it and just paid my AF (yesterday) for the renewal of my business SPG.  Figure it is worth it due to the free night up to 35k points?  Along with 4 points on Various Cats that I can use.  Seems like the best version of the SPG card other than possible 450$ AF version which wouldn't personally suit me.  Be interesting to see what the SUB is on that card

Message 4 of 46
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Yes certainly a crudey SUB for a HOTEL card..  I held off on applying for it and just paid my AF (yesterday) for the renewal of my business SPG.  Figure it is worth it due to the free night up to 35k points?  Along with 4 points on Various Cats that I can use.  Seems like the best version of the SPG card other than possible 450$ AF version which wouldn't personally suit me.  Be interesting to see what the SUB is on that card

Depends on how Marriott reorganizes the hotels when the new category chart gets released in June. Do agree if you have both cards the business version is better for point earning. So unless you value the free night no point keeping the personal version unless you plan to upgrade to the Luxury card.

Message 5 of 46
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Unfortunately American Express has removed any points sign up bonus for both the personal and business version of their SPG cards.  Now the personal comes only with a $200 statement credit ($100 after spending $1000 in first 3 months and the potential for another $100 if you use the card at a Starwood or Marriott hotel within 6 months). The business version only comes with the $100 credit after meeting the $1K spend requirement.  Hope those that were considering getting one or both of these cards did so when the SUB was points.  Another side effect of the merger.  This one certainly will result in fewer people applying for these cards. 

Wow, that is really unfortunate.  To put that into perspective, just from the 35,000 Starpoint SUB and my first charge that qualified me for the signup bonus, I got just a little over $2900 in hotel room value.  I'll henceforth refer to the period of September 2016 - July 2018 as the Marriott/SPG Salad Days.  Smiley Sad

Message 6 of 46
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I guess it's always nice to have a bonus category but unless you dine out a lot or drive a gas guzzler then the business version is just as blah as the rest of their line up.  

My friends dad is an OTR owner/operator who stays at Fairfield Inn and runs a dedicated lane.  He's extremely happy about the bonus category on food and fuel.  So I guess there are some winners out there...I'm just not one of them.  Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 46
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I sensed something was coming, so I applied and get approved for the last personal SPG on the Sunday before the Marriott/SPG news.  I get 7,500 + 25,000 SPG points.  Happy about it.

Message 8 of 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was going to get the referral and the 25k bonus for 32.5k SPG points but they took the referral down on Monday so I got the 30k SPG sign-up bonus for my wife on Monday.  (She got a 25k limit and I only got a 1k limit on mine).   So everyone is saying how that Amex will have the only business Amex going forward. I don't see how they will have anyone signing up for it with a 100 dollar statement credit.  I think perhaps they will raise the bonus once the cards point value changes in August.  

Everyone might want to get the 75k from the Marriott business as well before it goes away. 

Message 9 of 46
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

No, the Chase Marriott is under 5/24 and a lot folks won't qualify.  

The regular SPG "refer a friend" button has been gone for some time (months).  But still hidden if you tried hard to find.  I think all the referral links were pulled on Monday.

Message 10 of 46
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.