Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge cards

tag
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Amex charge cards

So I have the Amex Green revived last year.....my MSD is 1980.   Haven't been able to get a revolver yet due to too many inquiries and new accounts.  I was thinking about trying to get another charge card, perhaps the amex PRG to help me with my AAoA since it would be backdated to 1980.  Will Amex issue you two charge cards?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LearningMoreAboutCredit
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex charge cards

@ecxpa wrote:

So I have the Amex Green revived last year.....my MSD is 1980.   Haven't been able to get a revolver yet due to too many inquiries and new accounts.  I was thinking about trying to get another charge card, perhaps the amex PRG to help me with my AAoA since it would be backdated to 1980.  Will Amex issue you two charge cards?

Yes.

Any advice given is always YMMV...

Current FICOs: 740+ across the board | Goal: >760 FICO | Total CLs: $63.3k/$60k Goal | Utilization: 19% | Last App: 05/01/2014 | INQ: EX: 10, EQ: 8, TU: 5, All Expire 06/2016; No Collections/Charge Offs/BK's | AAoA: 7yrs.
| All Reports Frozen!!! | No Apps til 12/2015 | Homeowner since: 06/28/13 | White Whales: Marriott Rewards, Discover IT, Sallie Mae WMC, Sams MC
Message 2 of 6
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Yes, you can have two charge cards but if a revolver is what you want I would wait and apply every 3-6 months. It's only a SP denial.

Message 3 of 6
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

Last time I was denied it was because I had not used the green card a lot; with the Amex prg I would accumulate more point with heavy usage and hopefully be able to get the amex Everyday revolver.

Message 4 of 6
eagle2013
Established Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Last time I was denied it was because I had not used the green card a lot; with the Amex prg I would accumulate more point with heavy usage and hopefully be able to get the amex Everyday revolver.

AMEX cares about how you use your card, aka spending. It's understandable how they would be reluctant to approve you for a revolver if you haven't made much use of your current product. The points accumulation is for your benefit only, and you'll run into the same fate if your spending on the PRG remains the same as the Green. I would suggest using the Green as much as you can, and it will increase your internal risk scoring with AMEX over time.

Message 5 of 6
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

Should have gone for the PRG.  Qualifications are the same for the revolvers (except the Centurion).

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.