Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex charge monthly usage

tag
Achase
Regular Contributor

Amex charge monthly usage

What's the most you have ran through your Amex charge card in a month...so far my usage for this month is at $9100 and my statement closes in a few days I'm kinda nervous to keep charging....I hear so many horror stories. Had the card since Oct. 2010 platinum charge card. My average usage would be around 5k give or take 1k.

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
ficofox
Regular Contributor

Re: Amex charge monthly usage

From what I have gathered, AMEX has a pretty good sense of what each cardholder can handle. So, it may be that their internal notes on you give you max headroom up to the ceiling, whereas with me, they probably gave me one of those ultra-low, popcorn ceilings from the 60's.

I imagine that if your monthly spending is well within what they think you can handle, they probably won't bat an eye. May be different for the next guy. If I started spending $9K a month, they'd shut me down so fast my head would spin.

With FICO, time heals all wounds.

Message 2 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Maybe go ahead and pay now, part of it anyway?

Otherwise, I agree, they're probably OK with where you are. Although I sure wouldn't pay one day later on this one than you normally do.  Smiley Very Happy

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 12
Achase
Regular Contributor

You guys have a good point i make multiply payment thru out the month on it though. So my outstanding balance is never that high. But I just wondered if that much usage and that many payments would raise any alerts for AA.

Message 4 of 12
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

My logic is simple. I pay on Sunday mornings for the charges I made the previous week. Maybe over kill but keeps things simple and the budget on track.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 5 of 12
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

If you're paying as you go, I can't imagine they care one bit how much you're putting through the card.  Or rather, they care and are extremely pleased. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Message 6 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

+1

They love having their cards used AND paid off! This is exactly what they like to see with their charge cards, IMO.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 12
jj10939
Regular Contributor

Why is everyone so concerned with AMEX doing AA or FR on their accounts?  As long as they are approving your transactions and you are paying them off when you are supposed to and not breeching your account agreement with them, then I don't see how there is anything to worry about?

I have never worried about my AMEX.  I use it exclusively for gas and grocery purchases for the 2x points on the PR Gold card and have had no issue whatsoever.

Message 8 of 12
Achase
Regular Contributor

well i had an issue with bofa in the past before i became an amex custre and i was in bestbuy and my card was declining for a 200 charge i called bofa and they closed my accounts because they said my balances had gotten too high with my outside creditors and they felt i was a hig risk....so reading alot of negativity about amex makes me kinda wary...thats the only reason why i dont think ill ever want a revolving credit product from them im happy with the charge card..cause u set your own limit and it helps you maintain financial responsibilty 

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jj10939 wrote:

Why is everyone so concerned with AMEX doing AA or FR on their accounts?  As long as they are approving your transactions and you are paying them off when you are supposed to and not breeching your account agreement with them, then I don't see how there is anything to worry about?

I have never worried about my AMEX.  I use it exclusively for gas and grocery purchases for the 2x points on the PR Gold card and have had no issue whatsoever.

+1

Your monthly spend is really based on a pattern. For example, as another poster mentioned, if they charged 9k Amex would probably give some kind of AA, whereas some people charge 50k or more/month and Amex doesnt bat an eye. It's all based on your profile with them. They're pretty flexible with what they'll let you do. For example, last November I charged about 2.5 times my normal amount on my card (xmas gifts and my down payment for my motorcycle) and no AA or anything.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.