cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex credit limit increase button soft or hard inquiry?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex credit limit increase button soft or hard inquiry?

I currently have an Amex Blue current limit $2,000 and whenever I log in I notice that there is a tab to ask for a credit limit increase. My question is if I ask for the credit limit increase is it a hard or soft inquiry?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
jmontes77029
New Contributor

Re: Amex credit limit increase button soft or hard inquiry?

I believe if you ask for the increase it is a hard inq. If they initiate it it most likely will be a soft.

Starting Score: 603 4/3/2011
Current Score: 633 6/02/2011
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
crackiein
Valued Member

You have to have the card for at least 60 days or not have received a CLI within 6 months.  Call the number back of the card and follow the prompts for CLI.

It is a soft pull, IME.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Normally the Amex CLI button is a soft pull.  However, don't push it if you cannot afford a hard, because they have the right to pull your reports if they choose to do so.

Message 4 of 10
joestay
Frequent Contributor

Always been a soft for me and sometimes, they don't even pull your credit report. 

Message 5 of 10
fused
Moderator Emeritus

@joestay wrote:

Always been a soft for me and sometimes, they don't even pull your credit report. 

Its been the same for me in the past.

Message 6 of 10
Ron1
Super Contributor

I usually call the automated system for CLI and I didn't see any hard inquiry on my report. They grant 1 CLI every six months.

Ron.

Message 7 of 10
clocktick
Valued Contributor

I call the # on the back of the card - it's an automated system.  They ask you what CLI you want.  You type it in and see how the system responds.  It's usually avaible within 15 minutes.  There's no CSR to talk to.  It's a soft pull, if any.  I am not sure of any button on the site.  Where is this located?

Oh, and at the end of your call it will tell you you have to wait 6 months for your next one.

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800

Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 10
Believe1970
Regular Contributor

Always soft when I had the card also.
Mortgage:

Auto Loan:

Credit Cards:
Message 9 of 10
wmarat
Valued Contributor

It's always been soft for me.

IN VINO VERITAS.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.