Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex declined at point of sale

tag
Achase
Regular Contributor

Amex declined at point of sale

I just opened my acct on 11-01-10 and have made payment and good usage on my card for last 27 days well today my charge of 20 dollars was declined. So I called Amex and they want to do a verification on my acct. Their identity verification team called my bank and want to verify my address with them. Has anyone else experienced this? Kinda embarrassing have a Plat Amex decline for $20 Smiley Sad

Starting Score: 490
Current Score: 522
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex declined at point of sale

I had to do this when I signed up for my AMEX Green. I was not approved right off the bat, but 3-4 days later called me and rep said,"Congrats you have been approved but we had trouble verifying your address, may we call your bank?" They did a three way call and verified my address and how long I had the account with my bank. But they did this before I ever received my card. As soon as I got my card it worked, did not have to call to activate it.

Message 2 of 6
Achase
Regular Contributor

o tru...well they just did it today...and after i activated my card when i got it it still didnt wrk i had to call and talk to account services to make sure i was ok with paying my full balance at the end of the month and they told how much i can spend until they get to know me better

Message 3 of 6
Scuba
Frequent Contributor

The same happened to me when I activated my Zync. . . had to call the bank to verify my address.  Better at approval than at a terminal but either way, AMEX will get all of us when you least expect it.

Message 4 of 6
Achase
Regular Contributor

lol you right about that.....but as i think about it im glad it happened at today for a small amout in a small store than at a restaurant or in bestbuy or some dept store making a big ticket purchase..

Message 5 of 6
wollepopolle
Established Contributor

@Achase wrote:

... i had to call and talk to account services to make sure i was ok with paying my full balance at the end of the month and they told how much i can spend until they get to know me better

Maybe you should tell them how often YOU will use the card until you get to know them better and trust them with more transactions. Why don't THEY have to do anything to gain your trust as a customer?

I think all of us Amex users should unite and tell the company that WE are the customers. My Amex CC sees the light of day about twice per month for a total usually under $80 to keep it active. I have better rewards cards these days even though Amex should now know me better through softing my Experian report every 14 days or so. They now "trust" me with a CL of $12K. I only trust them with a balance of $50 or so. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.