Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denying SUBs

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex denying SUBs

now i am waiting on gold card, i begin to wonder about this:

any "early sign" to look for so you don't spend 2k then find out there is no SUB?

Message 11 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@red259 wrote:

Reading some of the travel blogs and comments there seems to be a large number of people being denied SUBs by Amex.  A much larger number than in the recent past so I was interested in any datapoints. I am not talking about people trying to get a SUB on a card they had in the past. There are reports of people with only 1 or 2 amex cards being denied SUBs on new apps with Amex via the popup. There is some speculation that amex denys people who either do not use their cards or has recently closed amex cards.  

1. Have you recently applied for an amex card you had not held before and been told you would not get the SUB (not interested in people who were flat out denied only those who could get the card but only without SUB)?

If yes to above:

2. How many amex cards do you currently have open?

3. How many amex cards have you had in the past?

4. If you have amex cards open do you use them at all?

5. If you closed amex cards when did you close them?

6. How many cards have you opened in the past two years across all lenders? (not including non-business amex cards that do not report to credit bureau)

7. The offer you received was it a prequalified offer?

1. Yes but I was denied the SUB despite never even receiving the popup.

2. 4

3. 0

4. I currently only use the Gold card which ironically was the card I was denied the SUB for. My ED card has a BT on it.

5. Never closed any

6. 15. I’ve opened 11 this year and 4 last year.

7. No

Message 12 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

any "early sign" to look for so you don't spend 2k then find out there is no SUB?

If you aren’t receiving the 20% statement credit after each dining transaction there is a good chance you have been denied the SUB. 

Message 13 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you aren’t receiving the 20% statement credit after each dining transaction there is a good chance you have been denied the SUB. 

Thanks, does 20% dining credit apply to spending at places like subway, mcdonald, taco bell (USA's best mexican restaurant)?

Because I do have virtual card loaded in my google pay, I can go local MCD and give it a try.

Message 14 of 61
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks, does 20% dining credit apply to spending at places like subway, mcdonald, taco bell (USA's best mexican restaurant)?

Because I do have virtual card loaded in my google pay, I can go local MCD and give it a try.

Yes, at all those fine dining establishments.  Up to $500 for a max of $100 credit.  Remember to use your $10 monthly credit, Shake Shack, Cheesecake Factory and Ruth's Chis.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 15 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kool Kool.
Message 16 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. Have you recently applied for an amex card you had not held before and been told you would not get the SUB (not interested in people who were flat out denied only those who could get the card but only without SUB)?

No

2. How many amex cards do you currently have open?

3. How many amex cards have you had in the past?

4. If you have amex cards open do you use them at all?

3 get used regularly, the rest I quit using once bonus hit.

5. If you closed amex cards when did you close them?

closed 2 this year, they were  open over a year

6. How many cards have you opened in the past two years across all lenders? (not including non-business amex cards that do not report to credit bureau)

Approx 25 cards in past 2 years, 15 this year, 8 Amex cards this year

7. The offer you received was it a prequalified offer?

No

Message 17 of 61
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If you don't make the $2,000 spend I can assure you, you won't get the SUB Smiley Wink

Don't get too far out in front of possible denied bonuses if you haven't even received the card. Best of luck, and it's not fun for those who were denied the SUB, but it seems most had some combination of issues that leads to AMEX denying the SUB. I'm not saying it is fair that the SUB gets denied, just saying I can see how, in many of these cases, AMEX's computers pulled the plug on the cardholder.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 18 of 61
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

I will add a data point here for others who have applied for Gold. I wasn’t sure i would be getting the sub since i did have PRG a few years ago , but when i used referral to sign up for the card I didn’t get any message “are you sure you want to apply for card since you won’t get SUB”. When I activated my card one of the Amex CSR said i would be getting the SUB so I thought maybe there is a good chance I would be getting the SUB. I wasn’t 100% sure since when i received my card I didn’t get any documentation about receiving 50k after 2k spend like it said on my application. 

Fast forward to today I messaged Amex via my phone about how close i am to reaching my SUB, and they said i didn’t qualify for it, and nothing can be done about that so i am pretty SOL. I guess the moral of the story is that Amex CSR sometimes don’t know what they are talking about . 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 19 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did they say why you are not "qualified"? Because of prg?
Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.