cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex denying SUBs

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@red259 wrote:

Also, amex should be careful with people just starting out and not needlessly screw them over, because while they may be small fish to amex now you never know how successful they may be down the road later on and I know if a credit card company or bank screws me over I have a very long memory about such things and won't give them the time of day when they come sniffing around later to sell me their products.

Certainly it's good for all companies to be somewhat respectful of their customers.   However, I personally don't find the small fish now, master-of-the-universe later argument that compelling, simply because, almost by definition the vast majority of small fish stay small fish!

Message 41 of 61
Moderator

Re: Amex denying SUBs

Here's my own data point:

 

5/2015 - Opened Green

5/2015 - Opened BCP

4/2016 - Closed Green

5/2016 - Opened PRG

5/2016 - Opened Delta Gold

1/2017 - Opened ED

4/2017 - Closed Delta Gold

 

I've only closed two cards, and the Green didn't even have a bonus (the bonus on the Delta Gold was a measly 30k SkyPesos). 

 

When I applied for the Cash Magnet 6/2018 I got the 'no bonus for you' pop-up, so I canceled the app.

 

I've not tried again since then.

 

Message 42 of 61
Super Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Also, amex should be careful with people just starting out and not needlessly screw them over, because while they may be small fish to amex now you never know how successful they may be down the road later on and I know if a credit card company or bank screws me over I have a very long memory about such things and won't give them the time of day when they come sniffing around later to sell me their products.

Certainly it's good for all companies to be somewhat respectful of their customers.   However, I personally don't find the small fish now, master-of-the-universe later argument that compelling, simply because, almost by definition the vast majority of small fish stay small fish!


I didn't say anything about master of the universe. I'm not talking about the 1% crowd when I talk about successful. More like college student/part time worker now compared with successful professional, doctor/lawyer/ceo later in life. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 43 of 61
New Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs

Wonder why uncleb would be denied a sub on the magnet, since you never had it?
Message 44 of 61
Super Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@UncleB wrote:

Here's my own data point:

 

5/2015 - Opened Green

5/2015 - Opened BCP

4/2016 - Closed Green

5/2016 - Opened PRG

5/2016 - Opened Delta Gold

1/2017 - Opened ED

4/2017 - Closed Delta Gold

 

I've only closed two cards, and the Green didn't even have a bonus (the bonus on the Delta Gold was a measly 30k SkyPesos). 

 

When I applied for the Cash Magnet 6/2018 I got the 'no bonus for you' pop-up, so I canceled the app.

 

I've not tried again since then.

 


I don't think the popup occurs for all people thats the biggest problem is the inconsistency. I didn't get one for my app for gold and i had one CSR even tell me that i was approved for 50k offer for 2k spend. She also asked if i wanted to add AU to reach the Min spend easier. I for one am not one of those people that are all that impressed with Amex CSR for non plat users. I had an issue few years back with amex not giving me the free year of amazon prime when i signed up for the EDP.  With all that being said until there is a better program than MR right now I will just bite the bullet. UR to me has a lot of value recently with the UAL devalue a few years ago and just dropping KE out of the blue. 



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 45 of 61
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Also, amex should be careful with people just starting out and not needlessly screw them over, because while they may be small fish to amex now you never know how successful they may be down the road later on and I know if a credit card company or bank screws me over I have a very long memory about such things and won't give them the time of day when they come sniffing around later to sell me their products.

Certainly it's good for all companies to be somewhat respectful of their customers.   However, I personally don't find the small fish now, master-of-the-universe later argument that compelling, simply because, almost by definition the vast majority of small fish stay small fish!


I didn't say anything about master of the universe. I'm not talking about the 1% crowd when I talk about successful. More like college student/part time worker now compared with successful professional, doctor/lawyer/ceo later in life. 


Sure, but failing to get the business of these lower tier succesess is not all that terrible.   Yes, I would rather get it, but denying lots of bonuses early on might still leave me ahead!  (Again, best for all businesses to treat all customers with at least a modicum of respect, but not overdoing it!)

Message 46 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs

2015 EDP 25k

2015 Plat 60k

2016 PRG 50k

2016 Biz plat 75k

2017 Biz BGR 75k

2017 SPG 35k

2018 Hilton 75k

closed SPG and EDP

 

2019 I’m thinking of a Delta SUB.

Personal Cards: Amex Gold, & Plat | Amex Delta Res | Amex Hilton | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR | Amex Plat
Message 47 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs

A new wrinkle. Need some information.

 

My AU had Amex gold, about 20 years ago, closed more than 15 years ago as well. I doubt there was SUB at that time. Will this prevent me from getting SUB? I myself never had amex gold before.

ⳂαԼԼεէ ✈⛽☕ ⳎroⳎel ✈☕ ⸿sƦ ✈☕⻇ ❡olδ ⌚ ēD ☕iէ ┊ ↇᏨ⌚⛽☏ ααƤƧ ⚕ ββⳎ
⛪ ८ſu ┊ ८ſ ⻇ Ⲙileⴑp┊ qš మ ᐰmzn ᐰ√ ⌚wſ -√ ┊ ααƤƧβiz⛪ Ɲĕхт: ✿❀❁ ⮛▲G
Message 48 of 61
Moderator

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@FortifiedHM wrote:

A new wrinkle. Need some information.

 

My AU had Amex gold, about 20 years ago, closed more than 15 years ago as well. I doubt there was SUB at that time. Will this prevent me from getting SUB? I myself never had amex gold before.


No

Message 49 of 61
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex denying SUBs


@red259 wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@red259 wrote:

Also, amex should be careful with people just starting out and not needlessly screw them over, because while they may be small fish to amex now you never know how successful they may be down the road later on and I know if a credit card company or bank screws me over I have a very long memory about such things and won't give them the time of day when they come sniffing around later to sell me their products.

Certainly it's good for all companies to be somewhat respectful of their customers.   However, I personally don't find the small fish now, master-of-the-universe later argument that compelling, simply because, almost by definition the vast majority of small fish stay small fish!


I didn't say anything about master of the universe. I'm not talking about the 1% crowd when I talk about successful. More like college student/part time worker now compared with successful professional, doctor/lawyer/ceo later in life. 


Doctor and CEO would be 1% and a lot of attorney's would be as well. 

More cards than I can mention in a signature.
Message 50 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.