cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex for Heavy grocery usage

tag
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@Jccflat wrote:
Simplynoir is the BBP gives better value than the nfcu Amex ?

It depends on how your friend values MR points. The way I figured it is if your friend was maxing the Gold card grocery cap of $25k for 100k points he'd want more points to add. And with that kind of spend the BBP is as close as he'll get to earning a lot as an alternative to another card. Perhaps if he has a significant other to apply for their own Gold card to use that would help as well

Message 21 of 38
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage

It also depends where the shopping is happening.  For example, Whole Foods is uncapped 5% with Chase Amazon.    More work, but you can also buy gift cards on Amazon to a number of grocery stores, such as Albertsons, Safeway, Stop&Shop/Giant, Shaws, Raleys

and again with Chase Amazon you get uncapped 5% on these.

 

(As an aside, they also have a number of fast food gift cards, Cheesecake Factory, Wendys, Panera etc.  5% beats most of the cashback alternatives)

Message 22 of 38
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage

Ok will the business be also a SP ? We he applies or because it’s a business it’s a new HP
he has 4 cards in the last 10 months the first was a HP the rest was always sp
2 cards he’s planing to shot off after the anniversary it’s delta and Hilton the green and gold will Remain
Message 23 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@Jccflat wrote:
Ok will the business be also a SP ? We he applies or because it’s a business it’s a new HP
he has 4 cards in the last 10 months the first was a HP the rest was always sp
2 cards he’s planing to shot off after the anniversary it’s delta and Hilton the green and gold will Remain

Excuse me for saying, but you sure know a lot of detail about your friend's credit history lol. If its actually you or your spouse, its OK. You will get the answers you need and probably pointed to the best cards to handle the spend.

Message 24 of 38
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@longtimelurker wrote:

It also depends where the shopping is happening.  For example, Whole Foods is uncapped 5% with Chase Amazon.    More work, but you can also buy gift cards on Amazon to a number of grocery stores, such as Albertsons, Safeway, Stop&Shop/Giant, Shaws, Raleys

and again with Chase Amazon you get uncapped 5% on these.

 

(As an aside, they also have a number of fast food gift cards, Cheesecake Factory, Wendys, Panera etc.  5% beats most of the cashback alternatives)


 If you want to go the chase route ink cash has Whole Foods and some other super markets gc you can buy 5x at staples. 



EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 25 of 38
Jccflat
Established Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage

Chase ink won’t work since it’s 6/24
Message 26 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage

The thread title made me think it would be useful to have names like that for credit cards.

 

ACME Visa for people who think they PIF but really don't

 

Ultima Bank MasterCard for people who will be happy with one card that's accepted everywhere 

 

The Amex Brown Card that costs you 4x points in restaurants and groceries, costs you 5X on travel and 1X everywhere else. That's right. You owe US MR points. If you really want an Amex badly enough. 

Message 27 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@Jccflat wrote:
It’s totally food This guy works in a kitchen and buys all groceries ingredients
So I guess the Every day Preferred card is the next card it has the 50% extra points for the 30 purchases per month

If this is actually food purchases, your friend is going to do significantly better by buying in bulk from wholesale clubs, places like Restaurant Depot, and food service vendors like US Foods and Sysco.  Saving 20-70% in bulk or with an industry provider over getting a few percentage points back in credit card rewards (although these can still be obtained through wholesale clubs and Restaurant Depot since you can pay with a credit card) could means the difference between $3,000 in rewards vs saving tens of thousands of dollars.

Message 28 of 38
imaximous
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:
It’s totally food This guy works in a kitchen and buys all groceries ingredients
So I guess the Every day Preferred card is the next card it has the 50% extra points for the 30 purchases per month

If this is actually food purchases, your friend is going to do significantly better by buying in bulk from wholesale clubs, places like Restaurant Depot, and food service vendors like US Foods and Sysco.  Saving 20-70% in bulk or with an industry provider over getting a few percentage points back in credit card rewards (although these can still be obtained through wholesale clubs and Restaurant Depot since you can pay with a credit card) could means the difference between $3,000 in rewards vs saving tens of thousands of dollars.


Yup. At first, I thought it was a case of MS. Then, I was going to suggest Restaurant Depot, Costco or any other major wholesaler instead, but it seemed like OP just wanted CC suggestions. IMO, this is the best solution and not getting a CC for groceries. Heck, even if you use a card with 1% or a debit card with 0 rewards, you'll come out ahead in savings as opposed to buying at a supermarket. That's his call, though... 

Message 29 of 38
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex for Heavy grocery usage


@imaximous wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Jccflat wrote:
It’s totally food This guy works in a kitchen and buys all groceries ingredients
So I guess the Every day Preferred card is the next card it has the 50% extra points for the 30 purchases per month

If this is actually food purchases, your friend is going to do significantly better by buying in bulk from wholesale clubs, places like Restaurant Depot, and food service vendors like US Foods and Sysco.  Saving 20-70% in bulk or with an industry provider over getting a few percentage points back in credit card rewards (although these can still be obtained through wholesale clubs and Restaurant Depot since you can pay with a credit card) could means the difference between $3,000 in rewards vs saving tens of thousands of dollars.


Yup. At first, I thought it was a case of MS. Then, I was going to suggest Restaurant Depot, Costco or any other major wholesaler instead, but it seemed like OP just wanted CC suggestions. IMO, this is the best solution and not getting a CC for groceries. Heck, even if you use a card with 1% or a debit card with 0 rewards, you'll come out ahead in savings as opposed to buying at a supermarket. That's his call, though... 


These make sense to me:

 

Citibank Costco Business + Costco Executive Membership 

AMEX Blue Business

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.