Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex getting old credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex getting old credit score

Hello, about 2 months that my credit score went up from 615 to 700 i checked in experian.com also credit wise from capital one and discover also american express offer free credit score and shows 687 when i applied for amex got declined saying that my score is 605 how can i fix this? Thank you
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

Re: Amex getting old credit score

You could call them see if they will pull a recent CR, not sure if they would oblige to be honest. If it were me I would wait the 30 days because of the denial and re-apply, and give the system a chance to catch up.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 2 of 15
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

Does anyone know if this is "normal" that AMEX shows a current score to the customer but is using an older score for credit decisions?

I expect my score as shown in the app to increase tomorrow and was planning to ask for a CLI then.  But this thread makes me wonder if I should delay and, if so, for how long.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have heard anecdotal evidence of this, that essentially there are three scores - your current score that you can see via MyFICO or CCT, the score shown in the Amex app (which often lags by up to a month, although in my account it’s closer to a two week lag), and an even older one that may be used for CLI and approval purposes. I can’t say for certain that this is true though, but it has been mentioned on here in the past.
Message 4 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Hello, about 2 months that my credit score went up from 615 to 700 i checked in experian.com also credit wise from capital one and discover also american express offer free credit score and shows 687 when i applied for amex got declined saying that my score is 605 how can i fix this? Thank you

Capital one provides vantage score, American Express My credit guide is also vantage. Discover scorecard is EX fico 8 but if you're cardholder, it's TU , also fico 8.

Can you post a screenshot of that Amex score you're referencing 

Message 5 of 15
zerofire
Valued Contributor

It has been known that AmEx will at times use scores that are 2-3 months out of date for credit decisions. If you want you can call and ask for reconsideration but it is purely at the lenders discretion. Also be aware that there is generally time lag at every part of the credit reporting system. So there is a delay for reporting of payments, opening of accounts, HP's, and anything else. Also scores are for that specific point in time only. It is possible that you did something negative that caused you to slide and it was reported between your obtained scores. These are merely guesses of possibilities other than attempting to match two different score types.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 6 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont think OP has an Amex. It reads as if this was the initial app. I could be wrong tho, it's happened before 

Message 7 of 15
mikesonthemend
Valued Contributor

My understanding is that AMEX uses only softpulls for existing customers. Soft pulls are dated pulls.

You can request a hard pull if it is worth it to you.

Living through Darwinism is so much worse than learning about about it in school.
Message 8 of 15
frugal47374
Regular Contributor

@Remedios wrote:

American Express My credit guide is also vantage.

It's also possible to get "Your FICO® Score 8 based on Experian data is the same score used by American Express" from AMEX.

AMEX FICO Score 8

Message 9 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@frugal47374 wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

American Express My credit guide is also vantage.

It's also possible to get "Your FICO® Score 8 based on Experian data is the same score used by American Express" from AMEX.

AMEX FICO Score 8

Of course it's possible if one is Amex card holder. We have not established yet that OP has Amex issued cards, hence request for clarification.  

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.