Did you mean: 

Amex gold card spending limited

tag
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex gold card spending limited

@FinStar wrote:

@K-in-Boston wrote:

"Declined because of [my] prior spending patterns" sounds like the CSR giving the blanket answer.  NPSL is determined by much more than that.  I'll go ages without making a big charge on my charge cards and then suddenly there's 4 or 5 digits in one shot.  Unfortunately, I think it's sympomatic of the other AA you've seen.  While recent charges do certainly factor into the decision-making, they're not the sole factor and most people with an established history should not encounter an issue like this.  I believe the more truthful statement would be "due to other issues we've identified, your spending limit has been set at the highest previous monthly statement you have had with us."

No pre-set spending limit on purchases does not mean unlimited spending. Your purchases are approved based on a variety of factors, including current spending patterns, your payment history, credit record, and financial resources known to us.

Edit:  Janus's post came in while I was typing this, and addressed the reason I felt the need to type this reply out.  I don't want this to sound like I'm blaming SJ, but it's not the norm and I think he was just given an incomplete reasoning for the limit being imposed.  Again, many years of experience tells me that I can go months or even a year or two without making a huge purchase and then when I do, there is no question in mind that the charge will be approved.

Agree. 

Yes, the card is definitely not "garbage" as OP has had historical use of it without any grievances.  Yes, it makes it a bit more restrictive, but this restriction is periodically reviewed and when AmEx is more comfortable with an overall profile, it can be lifted.

OP, my gut feeling tells me they've been watching the increase utilization and score deterioration (amongst other factors) to limit their exposure.  I wouldn't take it personally. 

+2

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 11 of 76
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

I'm not sure what to think. At first, I thought it was a matter of overall utilization...but Amex hasn't slashed OP's significant revolving lines with them, or put OP through FR or demanded POI.

I thought I had broken the "three times highest paid balance in the last 6 months" rule (or however Amex defines it) on Schwab in 2018, but by a hair I stayed within 3x. I've definitely done major BBP spend out of the blue, but that's a revolver and not a charge card.

I believe their internal algorithms can determine where the "cuts" can be made, but this might be a starting point. 

I recall a poster at one point mentioning a restriction was placed on their internal limit for the Platinum card, followed by removal of the POT feature on the Gold Card, and gradually (but eventually) led to the slashing of 2 revolvers. 

Message 12 of 76
Aim_High
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

OP, my gut feeling tells me they've been watching the increase utilization and score deterioration (amongst other factors) to limit their exposure.  I wouldn't take it personally. 

I agree not to take it personally but I don't blame

's frustration with AMEX. 

You're paying a huge annual fee.

You have a 'charge card' with NPSL.

And then a fairly modest $3K charge is declined with

primary reason based on OP's recent spending?!?!

I mean, seriously, this wasn't a $50K charge he tried to put through. 

This is a "premium" card yet an effective $1700 "limit" is extremely low. 

Even worse, you don't even KNOW what limit they are deeming acceptable

unless you get declined (how embarassing) or call them up. 

While we may understand how AMEX is mitigating its' risk, I don't think it's fair from a consumer standpoint to not know your purchasing power.  Would we be so accepting of a credit card with a preagreed limit suddenly denying charges and changing the credit limit unexpectedly without even pre-notifying the consumer?  I doubt many would defend that from a lender.

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$898K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Feb 2024)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 13 of 76
tparks5961
Regular Contributor

If I'm reading your profile correctly, its saying you owe $558,000.00 your credit cards with a total collective credit line of $639,500.00.

I'm sure at this point you'd be paying at least 20%/yr or almost $10,000.00/ month in interest. I believe at this point it is about risk management.  

I have a platinum card and a $3,000.00 transaction was declined. I called and my interal limit was $3,000.00.. with a $595 AF, plus annual fee for 2 gold cards.. I wanted to throw the card in the nearest lake.. but didn't.

After 4 months of use, my internal limit is up to $14,500.00.. Although last month they shut down all of my accounts and required a payment because my balance was $10,500.00..  I had already run up and paid off $17000.00 worth of charges within the month,, and they still shut my accounts.. I made the payment and they reopened them.

It's very frustrating dealing with them atm.. and im hoping at some point they learn to trust me more.. Using my cards until the shut them down each month will get old fast.

Last Inquiry 12/23/2022 Ally Bank Mortgage
Fico Score Progression: 10/1/2018 EQ 530 TU 535 EX 540 | 1/10/2023 EQ 785 TU 789 EX 787
Message 14 of 76
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

If I'm reading your profile correctly, its saying you owe $558,000.00 your credit cards with a total collective credit line of $639,500.00.

I'm sure at this point you'd be paying at least 20%/yr or almost $10,000.00/ month in interest. I believe at this point it is about risk management.  

I have a platinum card and a $3,000.00 transaction was declined. I called and my interal limit was $3,000.00.. with a $595 AF, plus annual fee for 2 gold cards.. I wanted to throw the card in the nearest lake.. but didn't.

After 4 months of use, my internal limit is up to $14,500.00.. Although last month they shut down all of my accounts and required a payment because my balance was $10,500.00..  I had already run up and paid off $17000.00 worth of charges within the month,, and they still shut my accounts.. I made the payment and they reopened them.

It's very frustrating dealing with them atm.. and im hoping at some point they learn to trust me more.. Using my cards until the shut them down each month will get old fast.

No. Total credit limits are ~$640k, but ~$80k doesn't appear on OP's credit report. Reasons for this happening can vary, but the most common is that it's a small business card. Not all lenders report those. My BBP doesn't report personally.

OP still has a significant amount of credit card debt...somewhere in the ballpark of $100k-$150k IIRC. But not $558k.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 15 of 76
SoDenied
New Contributor

Just chiming in, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

The card is worth it's $250 fee because of the airline credit and $120 grubhub credit plus zero restriction on 4x at resturant and a generous cap on groceries.

When I first got the card, I couldn't charge anything more than $300, after about 7 straight months of continous usage, I am at $68,000 approval.

It's a good card to keep if you find yourself being able to use it for expenses you'll get paid back for in the future. It has let me down a few times with "fraud review" "spend review" etc, but phased out after a year.

Message 16 of 76
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@tparks5961 wrote:

No you're not reading the signature correctly, those are my limits, not how much I owe.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 17 of 76
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@SoDenied wrote:

Just chiming in, take whatever I say with a grain of salt.

The card is worth it's $250 fee because of the airline credit and $120 grubhub credit plus zero restriction on 4x at resturant and a generous cap on groceries.

When I first got the card, I couldn't charge anything more than $300, after about 7 straight months of continous usage, I am at $68,000 approval.

It's a good card to keep if you find yourself being able to use it for expenses you'll get paid back for in the future. It has let me down a few times with "fraud review" "spend review" etc, but phased out after a year.

I found myself struggling to use it in order to justify the $250 annual fee. E.g., I was eating in Shake Shack once a month to get the $10 meal credit [I don't like to use Grub Hub because it takes about a 25% cut overall away from the restaurant owners].

Now I don't have to go to Shake Shack any more Smiley Happy

Message 18 of 76
Trikoret
Contributor

How long you had the account for?
Message 19 of 76
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Trikoret wrote:
How long you had the account for?

A little over a year.

Message 20 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.