Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex gold card spending limited

tag
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

Re: Amex gold card spending limited

I posted a week ago about my Platnum limit being decreased and was told I shouldn't get emotional. lol   Is it different for Gold card holders? Are they allowed to get emotional? 

People say that it is business, not personal. Sure. Amex has free will to do whatever they want if all of a sudden they don't trust their customers. But what about those people that are trying to actually run a business on Amex cards and can get capped all of a sudden without notice? That could do serious harm to their business. What if for 12 months your business spends $5k per month then gets a big contract where your need to charge $15k? Are you just sh*t outta luck with Amex? 

We had a major windfall coming the DAY AFTER AMex decided to nuke our spending limit. Charges started getting declined. **bleep**? They just poo-pooed close to $6k in transaction fee revenues because they got spooked by the normal ebb and flow of util? No one's scores or util flatlines forever. There are always peaks and valleys. No one should have to worry that Amex, at whatever time they deem necessary, will embarras them at the cash register by declining a purchase. That's stressful. ANd yes, I still say people are paying for that added stress with hefty AFs. I'd expect more from a premium card. 

Point is, Amex isn't building any longterm relationships by doing that crap. Sure, they can stand to lose however many custmers. But in the age of social media, word gets around. They don't want to be known as the card company no one can trust. 

Last point. People may have access to cash that Amex doesn't know about. I don't report ALL of my assets to banks because they don'tneed to know. People my be expecting windfalls like bonuses, etc. that Amex doesn't see. I agree with those who feel that history and NO late payments on your report should account for something. Sure a person's util may be high, but at least everything is getting paid. 

No one should get punished for using financial vehicles as intended. My util always gets high before a windfall like my yearly bonus. Then it goes down below 20% again. Amex's algorithm should see that in our 11 year history together.

Flame on! Smiley Happy

Message 71 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, but there is a pattern there for 11 years you say?

OP has only had the card about a year, and if there wasn't much spend on it to create a pettern. Amex has nothing to gauge. 

If this account had been opne for longer with decent usage, they might have allowed it because they had a history. 

But it could have simply been one of those situations where someone got the SUB then stopped using it enough for Amex to be happy.

I'm not saying one way or another, but there are always two sides to a story. And we don't see the whole picture that Amex does.

Message 72 of 76
adelphi_sky
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

OP has only had the card about a year, and if there wasn't much spend on it to create a pettern. Amex has nothing to gauge. 

If this account had been opne for longer with decent usage, they might have allowed it because they had a history. 

But it could have simply been one of those situations where someone got the SUB then stopped using it enough for Amex to be happy.

I'm not saying one way or another, but there are always two sides to a story. And we don't see the whole picture that Amex does.

I disagree. Banks only see what they are allowed to see. Like I said, they can't see my investment vehicles or other access to cash flows. They see only what I allow them to see. Miraculously, my balance always gets paid. But that's not enough for them. I shouldn't have to bear my soul to make Amex comfortable enough to know that they will get paid. It is understood in the contract that I'm to PIF every month. I've upheld my end of that contract. And it is understood that they allow me to use their product as intended. As a charge card within reasonable usage. Like others have said, no one is trying to charge a Maserati. We're talking small charges relative to AMex's targeted audience which is supposedly the more affluent. At least for the Platinum card. But if I can't trust them to allow me to charge $2k, then what am I paying the AF for? I'd just get a revolver from another bank and be happy. 

Message 73 of 76
Anonymous
Not applicable

@adelphi_sky wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I disagree. Banks only see what they are allowed to see. Like I said, they can't see my investment vehicles or other access to cash flows. They see only what I allow them to see. Miraculously, my balance always gets paid. But that's not enough for them. I shouldn't have to bear my soul to make Amex comfortable enough to know that they will get paid. It is understood in the contract that I'm to PIF every month. I've upheld my end of that contract. And it is understood that they allow me to use their product as intended. As a charge card within reasonable usage. Like others have said, no one is trying to charge a Maserati. We're talking small charges relative to AMex's targeted audience which is supposedly the more affluent. At least for the Platinum card. But if I can't trust them to allow me to charge $2k, then what am I paying the AF for? I'd just get a revolver from another bank and be happy. 

But you fully admit that you don't tell AMEX your full financial story so in the end you don't have anyone to blame except yourself. If they had that info, they would have felt more comfortable, especially since you also admitted that you had high utilization elsewhere which may be a pattern for you but that doesn't make you look any more financially sound to lenders.

Message 74 of 76
jbestman007
Contributor

with every Amex complaint post, there are usually a handful of posters that always rush in and regurgitate the same thing. This creates an echo chamber that makes the noise louder than it really is. Fact is, there are millions using their cards with zero issues.
Again, BOA closed all his accounts. Amex did not close his revolvers. They did not even CLD them. He can easily charge the $3000 on any of them if they’re not maxed out.
Point is, We don’t know the whole picture. Amex does. They capped his limits to mitigate their risks. Nothing wrong there. SJ did not like their approach and canceled his card. Nothing wrong there also. It’s his prerogative to do just that. I really don’t get what all the angst is about. Or is it simply because it’s Amex?

Message 75 of 76
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As the OP has already indicated their decision on the product, and as the topic has run its course, the thread is now locked and closed to new messages. 

Message 76 of 76
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.