Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex gold vs amex green card

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Amex gold vs amex green card

What are the thoughts between the gold and green card once the AF is factored in? I'm starting to wonder. With the gold I get 4x points on restaurant spend, but with the green I can get 3x. I can also get travel spend on the green. I would lose out on grocery spend but have an everyday card that would give me 2.2 pts back on that spend. The green card would cover most of the cost of CLEAR and there is a lounge buddy credit of $100. The lounge buddy credit may be useful with PP pass lounges in incidents where they will close due to compacity to PP but will still let people in with lounge buddy. The gold has a $100 airline credit which is a bit difficult to redeem due to limitations and having airline credits on other cards. Thoughts? Also, can you PC a gold card to a green card?

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Re: Amex gold vs amex green card

For me it would come down to if you don't have another 3x travel card, I have a 3x travel and gas card with my citi premier so green probably isn't as appealing to me. While I agree golds airlines  credits are hard to use now since Amex makes it really difficult. I probably would go EDP + Green if I wanted to go all in on Amex. 4.5x groceries,3x gas, 1.5x everywhere else in addition to greens 3x restaurants  and travel. That is on the premise that could hit 30 x swipe every month. The AF would almost be same as gold. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 2 of 31
red259
Super Contributor

@mongstradamus wrote:

For me it would come down to if you don't have another 3x travel card, I have a 3x travel and gas card with my citi premier so green probably isn't as appealing to me. While I agree golds airlines  credits are hard to use now since Amex makes it really difficult. I probably would go EDP + Green if I wanted to go all in on Amex. 4.5x groceries,3x gas, 1.5x everywhere else in addition to greens 3x restaurants  and travel. That is on the premise that could hit 30 x swipe every month. The AF would almost be same as gold. 

Yea I see what you are saying but I don't use the EDP+ because I have the amex blue business plus for non-cat spend. This calculation may very well be different if I had regular gas spend in addition to grocceries. Consistently making the 30+ transactions is another thing that is not appealling given that I would not use it on non-cat spend, although the 20+ I could probably make on groccery spend organically. I recently took a retention offer to keep the gold. At the time I was very happy with the gold, but for some reason over the last few weeks I have been reflecting deeply on some of my cards. For example I downgraded my aspire card to the non-AF version and now I am kinda regretting it given some recent developments to my plans. At the very least I am thinking about if I would have been better off downgrading to the surpass and using that card for grocery spend. At 15k I would get a free night. Of course, I just got the hyatt card and since I need to spend 6k on the signup anyway I think it makes sense to go for the 15k cert at least in the first year on that card. Some of these cards may be useful if I want to go into the garden long term.   

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 31
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I've been thinking about stacking my CSP with AMEX Gold or upgrading to the CSR. The raised AF on the CSR and doordash has complicated the equation. 

My dine/transit/travel estimated yearly spend is 22,000. Due to the CSR AF and the fact that you don't earn on the travel credit, break even is now spending 16,500. You get the door dash credit eitherway with CSP or CSR. Lyft is elevated to x10 under CSR vs. x5 under CSP but I don't use Lyft more than a few times a year so its a non factor. With my spend though I come out ahead $55 dollars ahead converting to the CSR but I can't PC for 10 months.

I was thinking of getting the AMEX Gold and using the Grubhub credit to knock my effective AF down to $130. The airline credit for me is too tricky as I'll switch airlines depending on the situation and who I fly with so I don't want to count on that. The doordash credit has effectively blocked that strategy. Considering the x4 is on Dine/Groceries where I spend 15,000 the extra x1.3 I would be picking up is worth $190 against an AF of $250. This strategy is out.

But the AMEX Green might work for me. It would cover the whole 22,000 of the dine/travel/transit unlike the Gold. The additional points over my poor man's Trifecta are worth $115 against an AF of $150. Sounds upside down again but the $100 dollar Loungebuddy credit makes this one a net $65 positive. There is also an incognito SUB of 45,000 MR points available for it where if I upgrade to the CSR there is no bonus.

The Loungebuddy credit at $100 doesn't sound that great compared to Priority Pass but compared to say having a United Explorer with a $99 AF for 2 United Club passes annually it seems like a better move since I get broader lounge access. United Explorer has a good SUB of 65,000 but it takes 10k to reach that level. 

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 4 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I personally can't justify Green (other than SUB chasing; not sure if me having The American Express Card, PCed to The American Express Card Now With Membership Rewards, that they thankfully later renamed to the green card LOL, keeps me from being eligible for the Welcome Offer) because of everything else in my wallet/mobile wallet/sock drawer, but if the math works out for you, go for it.

And yes, you can PC up or down within the Green/Gold/Platinum families, including The Classic Gold Card and whatever else is still available but not available for new apps.

Message 5 of 31
wasCB14
Super Contributor

When I already have a lot of miles and can only occasionally redeem them for an excellent value, I'm not in a rush to pay $150 for +1x MR on non-flight travel and dining over the BBP.

I already have GE so CLEAR is of dubious value, and it seems the LoungeBuddy network is quite small. I don't see any situation where I'd use the LoungeBuddy credit because it seems to have far fewer lounges than Platinum with the same PP-like hourly restrictions.

+2 MRs on dining and groceries vs. BBP for Gold...maybe. But I got a PRG bonus in 2014 so it would have to be a downgrade from a 100k Platinum.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 31
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

FWIW at some airports I have found that CLEAR is a huge time saver. Really regretted not having it at MSP over the summer, for instance. But here at BOS, it just lets me jump past the 2 people in line for PreCheck, if there’s a line at all.
Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Green's credit worth only 10 dollar to me. Two lounge visit at 5bucks each. I will never sign my biometrics to alclear company.

I would suggest you take a look at your spending in realistic numbers and crunch numbers at thepointcalculator.com for comparison.
Message 8 of 31
kerplunk
Frequent Contributor

Green Card's credits are not worth anything to me, so the $150 annual fee would just be a hole I had to dig myself out of every year.

Message 9 of 31
PointsBonus
Established Contributor

I hold both, with the benefits on each card the annual fees ends up mounting to almost nothing. THIS IS JUST FOR ME and MY OPINION.

Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.