Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex green card benefits!!!!!

tag
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Re: Amex green card benefits!!!!!

I have the Zync NPSL and the Delta Gold Amex (issued $2800 CL, waiting for 61+ for x3CLI) and my scores 650+ for both instant approvals.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 21 of 45
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

So many people here get butthurt about the AFs on amex charge cards....I have both the green and goldpr and yes thats $270 in AFs but guess what?! I havent been charged those AFs yet cuz you get the first year free! Im most likely gonna keep them too
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 22 of 45
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:
So many people here get butthurt about the AFs on amex charge cards....I have both the green and goldpr and yes thats $270 in AFs but guess what?! I havent been charged those AFs yet cuz you get the first year free! Im most likely gonna keep them too

I don't sweat AFs either.  If I use the card, and I can't get it waived - It won't cause me to cx the card.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 23 of 45
ccnewcc
Established Contributor

@jsickz32 wrote:

Lol!  

I personally don't like any AFs. Charge cards or for CCs.  

For the Green you pay 8 bucks a month (or 95 dollars a year) to float purcahses for 30 days.  Or you could get say the BCE and float your purchases for 30 days and pay nothing at all -- no Interest (ala AF).

Message 24 of 45
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Some of these posts defending the green card are definately lol worthy. The only people the Green is good for are people with boarderline credit or are just ignorant. please someone come with some valid points why the green card is anything but a rip off? Roadside assistance, purchase protection? Come on really? The no AF BCE has that and the rewards are actually worth something. To those happily paying the annual fee I salute you. Without you credit card rewards would suck. Sorry to be harsh, its just my opinion.
Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 25 of 45
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
Some of these posts defending the green card are definately lol worthy. The only people the Green is good for are people with boarderline credit or are just ignorant. please someone come with some valid points why the green card is anything but a rip off? Roadside assistance, purchase protection? Come on really? The no AF BCE has that and the rewards are actually worth something. To those happily paying the annual fee I salute you. Without you credit card rewards would suck. Sorry to be harsh, its just my opinion.

Well, if we want provocative comments!

1) For borderline credit, the Green fee is just a cheaper version of the fees charged by the likes of First Premier, going after the same segment

2) Yes, it may get your foot in the door with Amex, but why is that so desireable?  Lots of good, cheap non-Amex cards for when credit improves.

Annual fees make sense when you get value for money.  BCP returns much more than $75 a year for me at present, others get great payback on airline/hotel cards.  (See the flyertalk forums for how "professionals" do this)  Not clear the green can get the payback, or rather that the same spending on some other card wouldn't get more.  Things like Amex sync, mentioned by a poster, are also available on the free cards, and other issuers have similar type offers.

Message 26 of 45
trumpet-205
Valued Contributor

@laboi_22 wrote:

I'm a fan of the Green card as well! Yes the AF of $95 is expensive, but lets look at the benefits to determine if it's worth it. Again this is all subjective and may or may not make sense or appeal to you, but for me this is my point of view.

1)I enjoy the free roadside assistance. I work on the road in sales and this benefit is invaluable and worth the $95 fee. They will pay $50 per need up to 4 times a year so that means if you do take advantage of this, you they will have paid out $200 at no cost to you.

Good to know you are taking advantage of this. Typically this won't be a problem to most because we carry many cards and one of them bound to have roadside assistance. Your insurance membership also have roadside assistance.

2) Protections such as purchase protection, extended warranty, fraud prevention. Using any of these benefits just once can certainly pay off the AF

Standard benefit across all AMEX issued cards. Even AMEX Blue has it.

3) I love the no spending limit. I'm happy to pay $95 for the ability to use a card and not have to worry about running into issues against a credit line. Most importantly I can let a balance post, pay it off a week later on there will be no effect on my credit utilization. That is worth the AF to me. I think us myficoer's let credit lines bother us. If I have a low CL with a bank I'm worried about how long it will take to grow and when I should request a CLI. Not necessary with the Green card.

No spending limit does not mean unlimited spending, you do have an internal limit that varies every month. AMEX will or will not approve each charges.

4) I love the ability to track my expenses, organize them into categories, tag them, group them, and graph them. Another invaluable benefit.

Another standard benefit across all AMEX issued cards.

5) I love the service and prestige AMEX provides. I don't really care about MR points because I don't collect them as much I as do cash back etc. I actually got my first year AF waived, collected enough MR points to pay off this year's annual fee. Since I don't see much more benefit in the MR, I choose this option. I intend to keep it that way and enjoy the benefits of my AMEX Green.

Unless you are a Platinum or Centurion cardholder, AMEX provides the same amount of service acrossboard. Prestige is subjective (to me it is just another card).

Having said all of this, the Green card is not even my primary card and serves it's purpose in my wallet. I love my AMEX Green and despite it's flaws and high AF, I"m proud to carry it around!

So based on what you said, if you can take advantage of side perk the most, this is a good card to carry. Otherwise there are better cards out there.

Message 27 of 45
Pworld
Regular Contributor

Between Sync and this past weeks small business saturday, i have got over $200 in savings from my AMEX green in 3.5 months. It was my foot into AMEX and prime credit cards. So it can be worth it to some people. And now AMEX is starting to offer some good deals through partner companies in your area. The points probably suck, but having a charge card, has really honed my habit of paying in full every month and responsibility. So for some people its a great tool, for others it will not fit in their habits and stage of credit they are at. 

Current EQ:809 EX: 808 TU:809

Amex Platinum/ NPSL | Amex Zync/NPSL | Amex Green/NPSL | AMEX BCP/18.1k | Chase Freedom/2.2K | Discover IT/10.9K | Amex HHonors Surpass/9K | Chase Hyatt/5k | Sapphire Preferred/13K | Ink Business Preferred/13K
Message 28 of 45
jsickz32
Valued Contributor

Thruth is for people who want to get their foot in with amex for whatever reason but they feel they dont have a chance with a revolver. The green, gold and goldpr are their best way in because again you dont pay a AF the first year. If your too cheap to pay the af or you feel is not worth it then close it before they charge you the AF. I got my BCE first and then apped for my charged cards.
Amex BCE (2500) / Amex SPG (4000) / Amex GoldPR / Merrill+ Visa siggy (5000) / BofA Amex (6000) / Bofa cash rewards (5000) / BofA Privileges Cash Rewards (5000) / Citi Forward (4400) / Citi DP (2000) / Chase Freedom (4000) / Chase CSP (5000) / Chase Hyatt (5000) / Discover IT (1700) / FNBO AMEX (3600) / NFCU cashRewards Visa signature (15000) / NFCU Flagship Visa signature (12500) / NFCU Navcheck (5000) / Nordstrom (500) / MetroCU Visa Elite (5000) / Walmart (4500) / Kays Jewerels (6600) / Kohls (300) / Macys Platinum (2500) / DCU platinum Visa (17500) / Citizens bank cash back (1100) / Bill Me Later (1631) / PayPal Smart connect (2200) / BestBuy store card (2000)
Message 29 of 45
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

I understand there are some very young posters on these forums (personality wise, if not chronologically), but how is this post helpful? You don't find the card valuable. Great. You like your BCE. Good for you. You don't ever need to spend more in a month than your current limits allow. You must have very high limits. I don't. My highest limit is 13k, which is not enough to cover my monthly spending on some months. Nor is it enough to cover some of the large purchases I make. I also like not having to worry about the impact of allowing a balance to post on my overall utilization. I purchase a lot of wine off of winery mailing lists. Many of these wineries are a couple of people and a dog. They don't always remember to contact me before they charge my card. If this happens on my Amex, no problem. If it happens on my Chase card just after I put 4k on it (or the day before my statement closes), my utilization is off for a month.

What I don't do is assume that my spending habits are universal, that my needs are universal or that my values are universal. You've been given several reasons to have a green card (my stepfather downgraded to green from platinum when he retired, but wanted to keep his 700,000 MR points active, to provide a concrete example), but since they didn't apply to you, they are evidence of ignorance.

Personally, I use the Zync, which I think is a better value than Green, but that isn't an option for new applicants. Charge cards have a place. Your completely disrespectful tone does not.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.