Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex hard pulling to add AU?

tag
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

Amex hard pulling to add AU?

Is this a thing? I added my husband onto my SPG last weekend as an AU, tried online but it gave me a 10-14 day message so I just decided to shoot them a phone call and handle it. CSR helped me out and got him added and said his card would arrive in 7-10 days. I then received THREE alerts from experian stating that they had blocked three attemped hard inquiries from Amex?

I'm a little confused as to why they would need to do that, and to make three tries at it. Fortunately for me Ex is on ice and they didn't get through.

Current Scores 4/18: EQ8 645/EQ9 686/TU 664/EX 682
Starting Scores 10/17: EQ 590 /TU 592/EX 560
AAoA: 3y6mo
Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
wilde6
Established Member

Re: Amex hard pulling to add AU?

I added my DW when I applied. They sent her card with mine. Ive never heard of Amex doing a hp to add a AU.
Message 2 of 9
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

This is the first I've heard of Amex doing this.  Hopefully this was a fluke of some sort because I've added and have been added to Amex cards and have never received an HP nor has those that I've added.  Interesting...

Message 3 of 9
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

@Loquat wrote:

This is the first I've heard of Amex doing this.  Hopefully this was a fluke of some sort because I've added and have been added to Amex cards and have never received an HP nor has those that I've added.  Interesting...

Yeah, I thought it was strange. I’ve never experienced this with any other cc account I’ve added him to. I would’ve been really peeved if my Ex wasn’t locked and they’d gotten through. 

Message 4 of 9
creativeZero7
New Contributor

It is possible. Amex hard pulled me when my wife added me as an AU. It didn't really bother me but I do not think it is normal. The account does show up on my reports as an authorized account. Perhaps that hard pull was to tie into my credit profile to associate it formally.

Message 5 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

Odd.

Have they had any kind of negative history with Amex ?

I would check your other reports. I had EX frozen by accident when I app’d for a card and they pulled TU and never mentioned it. I called because it was pending and they said they needed EX unfrozen. No hint they pulled TU at all.

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 6 of 9
AppHappyTog
Regular Contributor

@Shadowfactor wrote:
Odd.

Have they had any kind of negative history with Amex ?

I would check your other reports. I had EX frozen by accident when I app’d for a card and they pulled TU and never mentioned it. I called because it was pending and they said they needed EX unfrozen. No hint they pulled TU at all.

He has very minimal and young credit history, they didn’t pull him but they pulled me- the cardholder, but no negative history with Amex of any kind for either of us.

I wouldn’t have been surprised if they pulled him for whatever reason but I was kinda shocked they attempted to pull me. Nothing has showed up on my other reports yet, gonna hope it stays that way because I might spontaneously combust since I just had a ton of inquiries hit from buying a new car. 

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you talk to AMEX about it? What did they say?

I've added my wife as AU on two AMEX cards and no HP was recived.

Message 8 of 9
Shadowfactor
Valued Contributor

I would call Amex Credit bureau unit and ask them about it. Maybe new accounts

Both numbers can be found on the Back door number thread.

They shouldn’t have pulled your credit again to add a AU unless the CSR screwed up and did something wonky.

I could see pulling your credit again if you were adding a joint account holder but since Amex doesn’t allow joint accounts. I really have no idea.

Call them or maybe a mod will tag @Anonymous and he can shed some light

Total Revolving Limits $254,800

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.