cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amex has pending gas charge beyond what was used?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Amex has pending gas charge beyond what was used?

Here's another scenario. As the good MFers have mentioned here, this is normal, to be expected. It will reconcile within 5 days or less.

One time I was at one of those near the freeway stations. All the car lanes were full, so I decided to avail myself of one of the two RV lanes, since I could pull right in. Being the RV lane, that hold was entered as $500.00 on my card, and of course reduced my buying power by that much. I didn't know it at the time, only later when the card I was using was declined...

You can avoid these things by going inside and asking for a specific dollar amount to be charged to the card.

Message 11 of 28
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

I pity the poor person that uses a debit card at THAT pump. Personally I am okay with the authorizations. I’d really rather not have to go inside and since every station I have been to in at least a decade is prepay, I just want to fill my car up and not have to guess how much to have them run the card for.

So even better, I got an email to link up my Fuel Rewards account with Chase Pay. It was super easy. You open the app, put in the pump number, enter the 3 digit code it gives you at the pump, and after filling my tank it actually authorized the card for the exact amount. I got 25 cents off per gallon (about $3) from Fuel Rewards and nearly 200 URs (a few more dollars).
Message 12 of 28
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I got an $80 hold at a Shell station recently. I wonder if that's common among all Shells. It disappeared once the charge posted. Usually, I get a $1 hold that disappears within a few minutes on AMEX. On my other cards, $1 holds tend to disappear within a couple of hours. At worst, they hang around until the end of the business day,.

The worst case scenario happened to me recently. Paying at the pump failed, so I had to pay inside. Because the hold at the pump didn't have a corresponding transaction, it hung around in pending for several days. I believe that was a hold for $100.

Message 13 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:
I pity the poor person that uses a debit card at THAT pump. Personally I am okay with the authorizations. I’d really rather not have to go inside and since every station I have been to in at least a decade is prepay, I just want to fill my car up and not have to guess how much to have them run the card for.

So even better, I got an email to link up my Fuel Rewards account with Chase Pay. It was super easy. You open the app, put in the pump number, enter the 3 digit code it gives you at the pump, and after filling my tank it actually authorized the card for the exact amount. I got 25 cents off per gallon (about $3) from Fuel Rewards and nearly 200 URs (a few more dollars).

Same here but I got 35 cents a gallon. Yee-haaaa, giddie-up.

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, always &85 for me. Luckily it’s PRG so I don’t really see any “effect” from it.
Message 15 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

is there any reason why gas stations have such large holds

Message 16 of 28
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

is there any reason why gas stations have such large holds

Basically, to make sure you can make the purchase. Similar reasoning why hotels/airlines place holds since the final total isn't known they want to make sure you can pay for the gas before the final purchase is tallied up.

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where I live gas stations aren't even prepay Smiley Happy

Pisses me off when I travel..

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I swipe my Amex at the pump at any Shell station, it always is a $95 charge until a couple days later.  I don't know if it is Shell's policy or or varies by store.  Not sure what other gas stations charge for a preauthorization.

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I already said go in and pay versus sliding the card at the pump? So no need to repeat it.

But most are to lazy.

Some couldn't care less about the hold like K- in Boston or myself if I'm too "LAZY".

If you dont want the hold, take a few extra steps wait in line for a few and you won't toss and turn in bed all night over a baby $99-$150 hold.
Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.