Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[Updated 3/22] Amex invokes "the right to modify or revoke offer at any time."

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Amex gold, 2 months in and CSR says no SUB offers for my account

In response to no SUB on BCE in 2015: Same card, same year, same problem. First AMEX card. Immediately hit the spend and waited waited waited for the SUB. Finally called to asl when it would post... they told me I wasn't eligible. I even sent them a screenshot that I had saved. They didnt care. I.was.not.impressed.
Message 11 of 66
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
In response to no SUB on BCE in 2015: Same card, same year, same problem. First AMEX card. Immediately hit the spend and waited waited waited for the SUB. Finally called to asl when it would post... they told me I wasn't eligible. I even sent them a screenshot that I had saved. They didnt care. I.was.not.impressed.

Pretty much if they don’t see it on their screen in front of them there isn’t anything you can do . There is an actual rant i went on on these forums few years ago when i got my EDP , i was supposed to get free year of amazon prime which i never got. 

For this gold card while SUB would be nice i am not holding my breath , i have gotten two different answers from CSR one said i am eligible for 2k/50k , the other said i am not. I am probably keeping the gold card long term for the 4x restaurants and groceries that could net me around 45-50k MR a year with no MS. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 12 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
The 1st CSR reasoning was that I wasn’t eligible for the bonus because it was my 2nd time applying for the card. This made literally no sense whatsoever considering I’ve never had the card.

I called AMEX for a CSR over the phone and they told me that I was ineligible due to misuse or gaming the system in regards to Past SUBs.

I do have 3 Amex cards but I never even intended on closing them. Those cards don’t make any sense to be used for normal spending (Hilton, SPG and Amex ED). I have a BT on the Everyday and I use the Hilton and SPG for those hotels respectively. Honestly, I’ll prob end up closing my Gold next October. This at least allows me to double dip the airline credit since I’ve already paid the 250$ AF. This at least allows me to get some value outside of the SUB. I already have the Savor which is grandfathered so if I do drop this card next Octobe, I would have a worthy replacement.

Ouch this makes me scared. I was holding on to some hope that this is just a glitch for me since two CSR (both on the phone, one from rewards and another who apparently had more access) told me it was because I had the card before, and they will investigate, and I should call back later. Since I never had this card before I expect it to resolve in my favor. If they give me any other reason why I can't get the SUB going forward their practice is super sketchy.

Message 13 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep it’s definitely something going on for sure. They said they would investigate it for me as well but honestly it wasn’t even worth the hassle to deal with. Imo most AMEX cards are useless without the SUB.

Have you already met the min spend for the SUB? I’m just glad I found out I was ineligible so I didn’t put any more non-bonus spend on the card.
Message 14 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm probably 75% toward the spend req. Though it occurred mostly organically since I dine out a lot.
Message 15 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm probably 75% toward the spend req. Though it occurred mostly organically since I dine out a lot.

Gotcha. Will you be keeping the card paat the 1st year if you don’t get the SUB?

Message 16 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will likely switch to Citi Prestige, amex is not a necessity for me and if I don't agree with their practice or quality I don't see any reason sticking with them.
Message 17 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I will likely switch to Citi Prestige, amex is not a necessity for me and if I don't agree with their practice or quality I don't see any reason sticking with them.

Interesting. Yea I may drop it next October when the 2nd AF hits. Only thing is that MRs are so much more useful for me than TY points. I also own the TY premier but I will likely use my TY points on portal redemptions for 1.25c a points. 

If Citi added maybe British Airways or American (prob will never happen), I would be all in. With that being said, Prestige definitely seems like a tempting option with the 4th night free and travel credit. It just may not be worth it for me based on how I would redeem them, being that portal redemptions will be 1c with this card

Message 18 of 66
NRB525
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Gotcha. Will you be keeping the card paat the 1st year if you don’t get the SUB?

To everyone who has called a AMEX CSR to ask “Am I getting the SUB”, I agree it would be frustrating to hear “No.”. 

It is is possible that their CSR screens are not caught up to the concept of “cardholder 1 gets this bonus, but not on card #2, cardholder 2 should not get this bonus”. 

If a cardholder is is not finished with the spend to get the SUB, then it is too early to say “I did not get the SUB”. I get that we all on MF want to know exactly what will be happening, but it appears that may not be available.  

@Anonymous when you use the card for dining and for proper grocery stores, you do earn the 4MR so you have been earning that. Its not like you get no points at all, no 4MR  bonus category because of this report. 

If the $2k spend is not complete, the real AMEX computer has not had a reason to give you the SUB. How much is the foregone 2% if you SD the Gold? $40 of cash rewards? Seems to me like you’d want to finish the spend on the Gold. 

There could very well be a glitch in their algorithm. Tightening down the SUB denial logic could be picking up some other datapoint and being confused. The earlier denials in 2015 may be similar to this, since that is when they first went to Lifetime SUB limits.  

I do do hope this works out favorably. The SUB is indeed quite valuable.  

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 19 of 66
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I also think if you aren’t receiving the 20% dining statement credit up to 100$, there is no need to finish the SUB. If OP has been receiving the 20% credit then he or she will probably get the SUB.

I seriously doubt one would receive the MR SUB without the 20% dining credit. I think those 2 are apart of the SUB.
Message 20 of 66
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.